Ch.44 - Persistent

Ch.44 - Persistent

His eyes widened as he watched the object shatter into hundreds of pieces onto the ground in front of him. The two other boys holding him down laughed wildly as their leader kicked the last few pieces into dust and smirked at him.

"See! I told you it was a piece of crap!" The ash blonde boy chuckled. "I just did you a favor, Deku!"

"K-Kacchan." He sniffled and tried to get the other two boys off of him, but couldn't. "Why do you always do this?"

The ash-blonde boy shrugged and kicked the final piece. "Someone's gotta remind you of how damn worthless you are and are at everything you do."

Hot tears pooled in the corner of his eyes and his throat burned. The pair of boys on top of him chuckled and praised their leader for his actions and words against the smaller green-haired boy. The ash-blonde boy only laughed and motioned for his lackeys to have a moment themselves to teach the smaller boy a lesson.

Midoriya inhaled sharply and covered his face. He had come home before with black eyes and didn't want to worry his mother. If the bruises were on his arms, legs, and body he could hide them. But not his face.

He braced for the strikes, but he instead felt the boys tense up suddenly and jump off of him.

"Ah! She's back!"

"How does she keep finding us?"

"Who cares! Leave Deku behind before she gets here and hits us!"

Midoriya watched as the three ran off. A new figure emerged and immediately was at his side and looking him over. Her eyes held a fit of burning anger, but her lips were pulled into a deep frown. The wooden sword at her side was placed onto the ground to not dig into her skin as she looked him over.

Midoriya hiccuped as a rag was placed onto his cheek and she started to clean off the dirt, rocks, and blood. Midoriya didn't say or do anything. He just sat and let Kurokori do what she always did she she found him like this. And once she was done, she was going to pick up her sword and chase those three down and smack them with her wooden sword until they promised not to hurt him again.

A promise that would be broken within a day and then the cycle would repeat again.

He was sick of it. Sick of being targeted because he was smaller, weaker, and different than the other boys. Sick of always having to have Kurokori come to his rescue. Sick of feeling like he couldn't do anything except wait for someone else to do what he couldn't.

"Don't cry, Deku." Kurokori spoke words he had heard too much. "Let's build another birdhouse! One that they can't destroy and will make them super jealous!"

He nodded his head at her, but Midoriya didn't feel like it. He didn't feel like doing anything. But he followed Kurokori. He followed Kacchan. He followed them both until he no longer could. And then, he followed Toshinori.

He had picked up a blade and learned how to fight and protect himself, but he still felt like he had done nothing but follow others and copy them. Nothing ever seemed to be his own and he knew why. He was a weak and worthless person who had no merit and purpose.

Midoriya had never done anything for himself and had only ever cried and hidden behind whoever would protect him. Even now, despite being a slayer and fighting for humanity, he had always watched Kurokori and Kacchan. Todoroki too.

He inhaled sharply as he saw Todoroki's blade start to slice further and further into Bakugou's neck. The ash-blonde was still igniting his blood and Todoroki was aiming his other blade to slice his hands off and therefore make this much easier on him.