Ch.13 - Courageous

Ch.13 - Courageous

"It doesn't look as creepy as I thought it would..."

Kaminari was right. The mine entrance looked to be nothing out of the norm. Nothing aside from a few overgrown plants along the wooden border to the mine was out of place. But, there was no telling what could possibly be inside of the mine.

Something might be lurking further below in the mine. Waiting for the next group of unsuspecting people to venture in.

But the three of you knew what you were getting yourselves into. That edge might be that skill you needed in order to restore some sort of normalcy to this mining village. Even with the poor conditions of the environment and the health issues so many people looked to be suffering from, the removal of any demons would be somewhat helpful. Hopefully.

"Let's stick close together." Kirishima spoke, being the first to inch towards the dark mine. "We don't yet know how many demons we're facing or if any of them have a potentially dangerous Blood Demon Art."

You followed in behind Kirishima, Kaminari following after you. The mine was dark, cold, and smelled rancid. The smell of copper was similar to blood, and it was quickly getting to your head. The air was thick and murky, and with every breath, you felt your lungs start to ache more and more.

The walk down into the mine was quiet for a good twenty minutes. There was only a straight line, but eventually it seemed that changed too. A typical divide appeared, a choice between a right path and a left path. You all paused and looked at the choices.

"Anyone have a guess?" Kirishima asked.

"I can wake Kacchan up... he has an uncanny ability when it comes to finding other demons." You spoke, starting to take the bag off and put it down on the ground.

As you placed it down, Kaminari walked forward. He walked close to the right path, sniffing the air gently. Then he went towards the left. His eyes widened slightly and he pointed to the left path.

"There's a slight breeze coming from here." He spoke, starting to walk to the left path. "I say we go this way."

Kaminari started to walk down the left path when the ground rumbled. He turned to see a wall of dirt and stone shooting up and closing up the path he had just taken. Your and Kirishima's faces fading from his vision, as well as any and all light.

The sparrow on your shoulder screeched loudly, taking off and flying towards where the left path had once been. Kirishima had come closer as well, pounding away on the wall, grabbing at his ax and flail.

Before he could, however, the ground rumbled again. But instead of closing something up, the ground this time opened up. You had been standing right on the divide, and your balance was failing.

Kirishima rushed towards you, fearing what would happen if another one of his allies disappeared in the blackness before them. You were already out of Kirishima's reach when he approached, but you were holding onto the basket with the demon inside of it. The basket was still sitting on solid ground. You held onto one of the straps, it being the only thing that was keeping you from falling.

"Hold on!" Kirishima called, now grabbing onto the basket and trying to not let it fall in with you. "I'm gonna pull you up!"

"Okay!" You called towards Kirishima.

A tearing sound hit both your ears and you looked in horror as the strap to the basket started to rip off. You inhaled sharply as your hand slipped and the strap was now broken. Your scream hit Kirishima's ears and your figure disappeared down into the darkness, the ground closing up quickly after.