Mind Games

As Damien pulled into the drive way, he thought of the bogus lies he had told Jess over the phone. He knew she would be up waiting on him to talk, but he wasn't good at lying face to face.

He rehearsed his story over and over the entire car ride. Punching the wheel and screaming repeatedly. How did he allow things to get this far ? How did he lie-down willingly with a man undercover ? Only to come to his home and lie-down with the woman he claims to love.

He became the man with the double life in a matter of months. 
After taking ten deep breaths, he built the courage to get up, go inside and face her.

His hands shook so much that the keys wouldnt fit to open the door. Thankfully Jamison was coming downstairs and could hear him battling opening the door.

"Thanks, I couldn't find the key"

"No problem, wassup?"

"Tired, just looking for a job right now"

He took off his jacket, resting his keys on the dining table.

"I thought big sis hooked you up with a job down at the centre?"

"Nope not yet, but hopefully something works out"

"Well im praying for you brother"

"Hey Jamison... um, Where were you today?"

"I went to lunch with my girl"

"You have a girlfriend?" Damien asked confusingly because he was quite sure that it was Jamison he had seen outside the gay bar.

"Yeah, we've been talking for a while now. I met her my sophomore year. We've been friends since, but never took anything seriously until now"

"Oh okay, well thats good. A good woman with a strong head on her body"

"Well she does have a strong head if you know what I mean" he winked and they busted out laughing.

"When can we meet her?" He asked to see if he could possibly trap him in a lie.

"Shes actually coming over for dinner before Jess leaves for Chicago"

"Oh thats soon"

"Yeah, I want you guys to feel her out, let me know what you think. This is my first real relationship and I want to take this seriously"

"Well Im here for you, whatever you need. I'll cook and tell her it was you who made it"

"My nigga !" He dapped him up before running to the kitchen for a beer.

"Damien is that you?" Jess yelled from upstairs.

"Yeah, I'll be right up" he yelled back

With every step he took, his heart beat increased. Every lie that He had thought of was completely gone by the time He made it to the door.

"Hey babe" He avoided eye contact because lying to her face was going to be harder than He thought.

"Its okay Damien, we'll fix us" she said which totally surprised him. She didn't argue, fuss or questioned him.

"Are you sure?" He asked still in disbelief.

"Im sure, I'm tired fighting, bickering, the tension. I want the old us back"

"That's all I ever wanted Jess"

"No more secrets okay"

"No more secrets" He promised her but that promise was already broken the moment those words left his lips. From one lie to another.