Chapter 1: Acquaintances with the Enemies

Author's Note: Welcome to the first chapter of the story. I hope you enjoy reading it. Feel free to comment and vote. I get all the amazing messages. <3

- London

Caleb's POV

Philip's journal says we've been here for at least fifteen years, but I think it's been much longer than that, because it definitely feels like we've been here forever. We arrived here because of a small figure who guided us through a door in an abandoned cabin in our hometown of Gravesfield, Connecticut. That's at least the last bit I remember before we left our world.

This figure in the history books could be described as dark, self-kept, quiet, and mysterious. I've never seen anything quite like them. They wore a dark robe with a dark raspberry belt or tie around the waist and a hat that covered their eyes and nose, all people could explain was a mouth and long red devilish tail. Like I said, they were quiet, but when they did speak the people heard shrieks and swear they saw sharp teeth and a green tongue, but I thought it was just a hallucination. 

From our point of view it was much different from how they described the witches. They didn't have red or green oily skin. The didn't have skinny, hooked, and sharp noses. Not really anyways. They didn't cackle creepily, or shriek, or howl very much. They didn't wear dark flowing robes or dusty and ripped curtains. In fact, not all of them were female like most described. Some were male, some female, some outside  the ordinary specifications. Some were tall, some were short. Some had multiple eyes. Some had only one. They didn't really fly on brooms either or use magic for harm, or at least it seemed that way to me. They were normal people, or at least I thought so. For we were brought here by a little girl about my age, eight to ten years old then.

Now, it's been almost twenty years later since we first came into the realm of "the Boiling Isles." We mostly just survived as apposed to meeting the locals and spending free time. We stayed far into the cold mountains, away from anyone, much to Philip -my younger brother's- liking. The snow is fresh as powdered sugar and the sun is a beacon of hope in the sky of what I assume is a mid-March morning. The snow had started to melt over the past week so that means that the spring season is coming quickly.

Philip, finally after years, insisted that we start researching this place and it's resources, maybe even meet the locals and see in-depth what they're like? "The Knee" residents of our area had cleared out due to a recent avalanche, so we were forced to find food somewhere else. We walked through many villages and forests on our way to what seemed like the biggest city on the giant carcass that was The Titan: a place called Bonesborough, not too far from the capital. We were met by skin-eating fairies, five-eyed monsters, tiny beings with the strongest might of the Lord himself, and many simple folk with pointed ears and in a range of colors, that used a wave of a finger for practically everything.

Fascinating, I wondered in my head. I was always fascinated by the unusual. I mean that's why we were trapped here in the first place, because I followed someone who held a purple fire in their delicate hand, without burning themselves.

"Witches!" My younger brother, Philip, said. "Vile creatures live here too!"

"Calm yourself, Philip," I started. He started this rant practically every time we went to town. "We haven't gotten into any trouble with any of these fellow... creatures before." I tried to be as polite as possible, not to cause harm or offend anyone without reason. 

"Not yet," Philip warned. "We haven't gone near them or actually interacted with them throughout the years, so let's keep it that way!"

Philip had always been cautious of the people who lived in this unusual world. We, as humans of the sixteen-hundreds, were taught that magic was a crime and witches deserved the worst of punishment for their actions. Death. No one really deserved that, people were just different, and they didn't understand.