Her Obsession

Hermione Granger was the smartest witch of her age according to her teachers, well all except one, to the previously called Potions Master Severus Snape she was an insufferable Know it all that annoyed him. He detested every time she shot her hand up to say a perfect copy of the answer he sought word for word out of her text. Yes he was like that also when he was in Hogwarts however he was bullied relentlessly for it.

Once again Granger's hand had shot up to answer the question of what does non verbal spells mean. He had hoped that on their first lesson and such an easy question also would sprout new hands. No, it seems Granger was the only one who even bothered to open her book.

Stifling a deep sigh he muttered. "Granger, you are obviously the only one here that has the ability to open your book or use your head. Go on."

"Non verbal spells are just that. Non verbal. You say it in your mind instead of out loud. It gives the user a slight advance over their opponent since they can't hear in your thoughts" She said. She paraphraised that very well. What was even better was she didn't spit the text back out at him. 

He grunted his approval. "Its a simple saying the spell in your mind and willing it to work. Try levitating the flower you have in front of you. NONVERBAL." 

'I wonder why he gave us these pretty flowers instead of feathers'. He whipped around to find no one talking. It was a female voice and it sounded remarkably like Granger. 'Perhaps he likes this sort of flower. Come now Hermione he's not like that. Probably hates flowers. No, everyone likes at least one flower. Wingodiam Leviosa!' 

Walking over to stand a few feet behind her desk, he shook his head at Neville. His flower was unmoving and his face was turning red. He must be holding his breath trying to focus. Pitiful. "People, please try to breath once or twice this lesson. Just because you stop breathing wont make it work better. Longbottom let the color resurface your face before attempting again. I'd rather finish this lesson." 

Several gasps could be heard behind him. He glanced at Granger, her flower was levitating. She smiled at Snape and let it fall. Then, once more, levitated the flower. It fluttered twice before staying airborne. "Keep trying Granger, it fluttered. If you think you're brave, try your bookbag." 

"Any other teacher would give my house points, but very well." She said under her breath. Severus heard her and slowly walked to face her. He knelt down where he was inches from her face. "I'm not most teachers Granger, detention tonight, my office here. However, five points to Griffyndor, "he whispered.  

She huffed and sat her bag on the table, squashing the flower. In his mind he heard 'Wingodiam Leviosa!' Her books shot out of the bag and to the ceiling. Very well for her first try. He turned away from her grunting angrily. Typical hormonal teenager unable to keep her temper.

The class went fairly well. Longbottom's face didn't reach that color red any more. No one else's flower, or books, went airborne that lesson to which Severus wasn't at all surprised. As he dismissed the class a voice in his mind again popped in 'I wonder what Snape's beauty is? It obviously isn't gentleness or compassion however it has to be something.' He gawked at Hermione, the only one that lingered in the classroom. She took her time placing her books in her bag, then lifted it over her shoulder. Her purple red rose squashed flat from the amount of books she chose to carry. Why did she care what his "beauty" is? As far as he was concerned, his beauty died when Lily did. Perhaps before, when she stopped talking to him. Clearing his throat he called, "Seven sharp, one second late and you will serve detention tomorrow as well."

All Severus heard was a slight scream of anger and a door slam. Oh how he detested hormonal teenagers. Although why did he keep on hearing her thoughts. Yes, he was a very skilled Occlemence and Legillimence user, however he wasn't trying to read minds. Maybe his personal library would have something. He quickly went up to his office chambers and walked to his bookshelf in long strides.