Turning Page

The Guru

TW: Mentions of self-harm and distressing thoughts may be upsetting to some.

"I've waited a hundred years but I'd wait a million more for you. Nothing prepared me for what the privilege of being yours would do. If I had only felt the warmth within your touch. If I had only seen how you smile when you blush. Or how you curl your lip when you concentrate enough. I would have known what I was living for all along." - Sydney Rose

🌊 🔥 🌪

When Zuko finally woke for good from his restless slumber light had flooded the room in the Upper Ring that he still wasn't used to calling his. He couldn't remember ever coming to bed, unsure if he had managed to eventually drag himself in here or if his Uncle had carried in him like a sick child.

It was likely the latter. Iroh had given Zuko everything when so many others gave him nothing. The thought used to be enough to break Zuko's heart and fill him with rage but now as he realized just how lucky he was to be loved by someone like his sun he felt a content kind of joy. He was loved and he was alive despite his hard so many others had tried.

This life was his and his alone and damn them all if Zuko didn't want to live it if not for him but for the few that cared.

The hum of a familiar tune and a new smell teasing his nostrils told Zuko that his Uncle was busy at work in the kitchen. The teen dressed quickly not wanting to waste any more of his life than he already had. He left his room to find his Uncle stirring a steaming pot.

"What's that smell?"

"It's jook," Iroh answered, pleasantly surprised to see Zuko up moving freely and wearing a soft smile on his face at that. "I'm sure you wouldn't like it."

Zuko moved to steal a glance in the pot and inhaled deeply. "Actually, it smells delicious. I'd love a bowl, Uncle." He held up a nearby bowl for good measure.

Iroh was surprised. "Now that your fever is gone, you seem different somehow."

"It's a new day. We've got a new apartment, new furniture, and today's the grand opening of your new tea shop." He said as Iroh ladled jook into his bowl. He carried it to their dining room table for two and sat down at it for the first time. "Thing's are looking up, Uncle." He smiled a thank you at the older man and brought the bowl to his lips, feeling more optimistic than he had in far too long.

🌊 🔥 🌪

The riders on Appa's back had grown so used to walking that they hadn't expected the journey to Chameleon Bay to pass by so quickly. It shouldn't have been as surprising as it was to the humans, their maps told them the destination hadn't been a far cry from Ba Sing Se. The Sidra River that ran through the walled city led right into the ocean of the bay and its winding curves had been their guide. Before any of them were ready, sloping cliffs emerged in the distance and the rolling green of the Earth Kingdom gave way to the blue expanse of the Eastern Sea. The mouth of the Sidra emptied into the more vast waters, an inlet surrounded by an almost perfect circle of cliffs and beach that created a small, secluded cove. Just off the inlet shores bobbed five deep brown long boats anchored somewhere beneath the surface with their blue sails tied shut.

Water Tribe ships. Even from their seats on Appa's back in the air, all three humans could tell that's exactly what they were. The bison landed atop one of the cliffs, a path leading down to the beach nearby. His riders joined him on the ground and watched the life that danced through the beachside camp of warriors. Somewhere in that camp was Hakoda, Sokka and Katara's father.

Aang clapped a supportive hand on the older boy's shoulder. "You haven't seen your dad in over two years. You must be so excited!"

He was but Sokka's face was several shades lighter than the rest of his body. "I know I should be, but, I just feel sick to my stomach."