Red Right Hand

City of Walls and Secrets Continued

"Take a little walk to the edge of town and go across the tracks. Where the viaduct looms like a bird of doom as it shifts and cracks. Where secrets lie in the border fires in the humming wires, hey man you know you're never coming back. Past the square, past the bridge past the mills, past the stacks. On a gathering storm comes a tall handsome man in a dusty black coat with a red right hand." - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds

🌊🏔🔥🌪

This had gone on long enough.

When the moon began to rise in the sky and Jet still wasn't home yet Smellerbee and Longshot set out to put an end to his madness. They found their friend right where they expected to, hiding in the shadows of the night to spy on a now all too familiar tea shop.

"Jet, we need to talk."

"What‌?" He said as his concentration was broken. When he saw his friends his shoulders relaxed in relief to no longer be alone. "Oh great, it's you guys. Where have you been‌? I could use some help with surveillance here."

"We've been talking," Bee explained, "and we think you're becoming obsessed with this. It's not healthy."

"Oh?" Jet's defenses immediately went back up. "You both think this?" When Longshot placed an agreeing hand on Smellerbee's shoulder his heart hurt from the betrayal.

"We came here to make a fresh start." She argued. "But you won't let this go. Even though there is no real proof!"

"Well, maybe if you'd fucking help me out a little!" He snapped back. "After all, I've done for you two, after everything we've been through!"

"Jet." Smellerbee pleaded. "You've got to stop this."

"Maybe you've forgotten why the three of us had to start over in the first place?" He continued on full of rage and pain. "Or maybe you're feeling a little sympathetic because you miss Daddy Dearest, is that it? The Fire Nation took everything from Longshot and me, they left us orphaned and homeless. But you? You're practically one of them!" His hand shot out as and he gripped the smaller girl by the front of her shirt. "Maybe I outta..."

"Don't Jet." Were two of the only words anyone had ever really heard out of Longshot's mouth as he wrapped his hand around the other boy's wrist with daring malice.

"If you don't want to help me then fine!" Jet seethed as he jerked his hand back and started stalking all towards the shop leaving the others behind. "I don't need you two! I don't need anyone. I'll get the evidence on my own."

Inside the tea shop, Iroh proudly poured yet another cup of tea for a very happy customer with his nephew nearby.

"This is the best tea in the city!" A city guard proclaimed.

"The secret ingredient is love," Iroh explained much to Zuko's disgust. The shop continued on bustling full of satisfied patrons. Pao was very proud of his favorite workers and the way they helped turn his business around.

"I think you're due for a raise." He clapped a hand on the older man's back just before the front door was kicked open by a rather angry child.

"I'm tired of waiting!" Jet barked at anyone that would listen, pulling his swords from his back and pointing one threateningly at the tea servers. "These two men are firebenders!"

Zuko had to give it to the kid, he was good to have figured them out but this moment could be the difference between a bullshit life-serving tea or no life at all six feet under Earth Kingdom soil. He and Iroh had to play this smart.

When neither man reacted Jet's rage only continued to grow. "I know they're firebenders, I saw the old man heating his tea!"

"He works in a tea shop." A customer deadpanned.