Chapter Fifty-Three

Alexander spared no coin on the clothes; he hired the most expensive and most famous tailor from the mainland and fashion Theodore's clothes for the galas and his stay in Aeaea. From the shirts, his coats, trousers, shoes, the cravats, the chlamys, and the chiton were made by the tailor in the fashion his grandfather saw fit for the plan he had in stored. Theodore wanted to roll his eyes at his grandfather's hovering on his clothing – even countering his decisions on keeping one color palette for his clothes – as he remembered Carina's words about how a dress could strike an impression.

He did not want to admit it – especially to her – but she was not wrong. Looking back to the soirees they attended for the past three years, while the ladies there were a nice sight in their dresses that made an image of innocence and wealth, whenever Carina entered the vicinity, she would have everyone turning to her not just because of her beauty but because of her wealth and power that was shown on her dress, her shoes, the ornaments on her hair, and her jewelry. She knew what kind of necklace or earring would be a conversation piece that she would be leading the flow of the talk. And before she would join the vicious wolves, she would know every person there was, memorizing them in her mind, their interests, their dislikes, their allergies, their affairs.

And yet she marvels at his ability to memorize every book and piece of information he would tell her about, meanwhile she has the information of person that mattered in the room and using it to her advantage.

Maybe he should have taken those lessons she teasingly offered him before, on how to converse with people in soirees than having to be the wall flower at the corner, observing everything around him, and then making some backdoor dealings, because he doubted he could do that in the gala.

Tonight, he must not be the Theodore Nott, someone who deals in the shadows, who does not give a shit if he was not liked. In these galas, he must be Achilles Achillia, not just because his grandfather advised him to use his other names in these events, but also to keep his identity secret. Theodore agreed with him, he preferred that his first name would only be for him and his family, especially the one he has now – Theodore Black. He did not want to taint that name with whatever he was to do in the Confederation of Wizard's.

"You look nervous," Alexander mused. Sitting in the carriage beside his wife, he observed Theodore as the young man kept fiddling with his wedding band while watching the clouds through the window. Their carriage rode in the skies, heading towards Prussia where the gala was being held. Afterall, the current Supreme Mugwump was German, Aton Vogel, who was said to be a secret supporter of Grindelwald yet did nothing to aid the man in his war. "How is your German?"

"A little out of practice," Theodore admitted, using German to prove his point.

"Spanish? Portuguese? Mandarin? Or was it only French and Latin you learned from the romantics, and then whatever you saw fit?"

Theodore glared at his grandfather.

"A shame. I heard Carina knows Italian and Spanish. You should have asked her to teach you."

"I did not expect I would be needing it in such a short notice," he smiled mockingly.

"Maybe we should send her an invitation to the gala," his grandmother spoke. "She might be helpful."

Theodore turned to her. "Don't you dare."

"I thought you might be delighted for the opportunity to see your wife!"

"You promised you will not drag her into this," he turned to his grandfather.

Alexander smiled. "A little teasing won't hurt, Theodore. But it would be nice if you learned a few Italian – from what I gather she appreciates the glorious renaissance. I do hope enjoys the gifts we sent her and the child, for when it is born."