Chapter Thirty-One

The attorney's office was both hot and stuffy. Hermione was warned by her mistress how brutal the summer heat was in Bath, and she did not doubt it, she came in prepared – as always – by wearing more suitable clothes for the climate and bringing a large enough fan to refresh her. Even her master has having a hard time concentrating due to the humidity. Both have whined and thought about using a snow-spell to cool the inside of the study – the entire building but knew better than to summon snow that could ruin the books, journals, and documents that lie around on tables, shelves, seats, and even the floor.

Normally, it was not this cluttered in the place, this was only because they were filing a petition of complaint on an Auror that has been using his power to obstruct the peaceful lives of the people he sworn to protect. Specifically, Muggleborns and Half-Bloods. There have been numerous complaints sent to them about the Auror, but every time they file a petition, someone in power is able to discredit everything. But now, they have another, a much dire crime – using magic to harass a Muggle – they need every complaint they received from the time Hermione started her apprenticeship to before she did.

There was a lot, they both realized, more than one in a month, and each complaint Hermione would read had her wanting to have this Auror be punished by the law. Though, others preferred if punishment was more severe and there are many who are willing to extract such punishment but Hermione believed in the justice system... or what was left in it.

"Aha!" her mistress' cry of celebration had Hermione climbing out of the stacks of books and documents to see. The witch, donning Muggle fashion for women, emerged from whatever she sat and showed the document they needed. "Found it! Have it compiled with the others."

"Will do, Bunty," she took the form and stacked it in the proper stack that was arranged by month and year.

"I think this calls for a celebration – well, a reward for us both because it feels like we scourged every pixie that might have been living in those told drawers. What do you say about some ice cream in the square, Miss Granger? My treat."

"That would be lovely. Should I get your coat?"

"Ach, no!" Her mistress waved a hand away to the idea. "I don' know how these ladies manage to walk through the heat wearing those bloody frocks – look, that one is even wearing a fur!" Pointing outside the window at the witch speaking to her suitor. Hermione recognized that lady. It was Lavender Brown, a former classmate of hers, fellow Gryffindor, and shared many walks in the dark corridors with Ron Weasley. Her friend.

Along with Lavander Brown, she saw Padma Patil who was also in the company of her own suitor. A smile etched on Hermione's face as she saw the two, even in Hogwarts Lavender and Parvati were inseparable, and it gladdens her to see that they were still after they left school. How she wished she was the same with her own friends... she quickly shook away such thoughts as she told herself that she was lucky enough to have lunches with them when she can while others are unable to see each other at all.

Dean Thomas claimed – when she ran into him in the streets – that he rarely saw Seamus with the Irishman taking an apprenticeship in Danu, under a master smith by the name of Sawney. Dean and Seamus were also an inseparable pair while boys in school.

"It must be enchanted," Hermione suggested. "You know those coats that would feel like fresh snow when you wear them." Her mistress shrugged.

The bell at their door made the two women groan and throw their head back. Just as they thought they could go out and have a little treat, someone walks in. She shouldn't complain, really, this was the life of someone in service to the people. It was one of the reasons why Hermione chose to have her apprenticeship with her mistress now, because she was a woman who serves the people no matter what kind of payment they can offer.