Chapter Forty-Nine

There was a hand on her belly. His warm and rough palm circling around as his voice whispered loving words – or was it an incantation? Opening her eyes, Carina was greeted by the sight of Theodore laying on his side, his head propped on his hand while he continued what he was doing. The early sun's rays illuminated his face, giving him an orange and golden glow, his hair that always looked jet black showed whisps of dark brown, darker than her own, and his abyss eyes shined hazel. It amazed her to see the colors, it felt like she was seeing another side of him. A gentler side.

The sight of his hair had her reach out and run her fingers through, then trailing them down to his cheek. Theodore stopped his circular patterns on her belly and his incantation to greet her a good morning with a kiss. Not the most pleasant kiss they had but they welcomed it.

"What were you doing?" Carina asked. "It sounded like you were casting a spell."

"Just a blessing. When I was a boy, whenever my mother would tuck me in to bed, she would lull me to sleep by brushing my hair with her hand and saying a blessing, or a prayer of sorts to the gods, asking them to guide me. To watch over me... obviously it did shite, but I just wanted to..."

"It wasn't shite," she slipped her fingers in his hand on her belly. "There are some things where shite happens to people, not because of the gods."

"Do you believe in them?"

"That is up for debate, but I do enjoy reading about them. Besides, sometimes it's nice to blame an untouchable being for a really bad day." She shrugged. "We've spent all day and night in this bed, I think it's about time we get up and see to the others."

To prove his point, Theodore pulled her to his chest, trapping her in his arms and in the bed. "It's our wedding nights."

Rolling her eyes, Carina pushed him back and got on, straddling his lap. "We have terrorized them with our noise, and we've made them wait long enough. There are still things that we need to see to before you go." When she saw the reluctance in his face, she added, purring, "then by sundown we go back here and continue with our celebrations."

"I would like that very much," Theodore sat up and kissed her cheek and down to her jaw, her neck, her breasts. "But before we go." He made a coming motion with his finger at the direction of their scattered clothes. Two items shot through the air and into his palm. "I had Seamus make them months ago." Two matching rings sat on his palm, both made from silver with an intricate design; the smaller one with a narrower size had thistles and hyacinths twining with the pattern until it reached a falcon in the middle, its wings stretched out and on its center were three stars; then there was the bigger one with a bridge, unlike hers that had floral patterns, his had the stars, constellations that all met to the image of dog running.

"It was only when you left did it really settle in that it was goodbye," Theodore murmured. "And when Granger gave me hope of the transfer getting done before the wedding, I went straight to Ironmade Street and asked Seamus to make the wedding rings. I was going to barge into Grimmauld Place and propose... I didn't care of the scandal or hurting anyone – I'm that selfish, Carina. I was afraid of losing you forever."

She reached for the bigger ring, "and you won't," she said as she took his hand and slipped ring on his finger. Leaning down, she kissed it and said, "Stay strong."

Taking her hand, Theodore placed the ring on her, kissed it as well and whispered, "Stay strong."

~*~

Using the floo was no option, that was why, before they left the Dowager House, Theodore had to wear a cloak to hide his face. It would be easier if Carina were to apparate them into the house directly but because of her with child, Theodore confirmed that apparition was a risk to her and the baby, so he was the one to do it, and because of that they arrived outside of Grimmauld Place.