Chapter Forty-Three

Protect the child. Protect the child. Protect the child.

That was the only thing that ran through Carina's mind as she raced through the catacombs under Grimmauld Place with nothing but the clothes on her back, the chained key and ring, and her wand. She gripped her pelisse tight to her body and pulled the hood over her head as she ventured through the dark and damp path littered with filth and rats.

Unable to sleep, Carina wanted to see her uncle in his study and finally tell him the truth. She wore the red pelisse and the chained key and ring to have something of Theodore with her, and as she ventured through the house with no aid of a wand or candle to light the way, breezing through tables and stands that held vases and plants, she would recall the mocking voice of Theodore to help her brave her way through this. When they were children, Theodore Nott knew exactly how to tick her off and get her off her arse and do the thing that scared her.

I thought Gryffindors are brave lions who roar and bares their claws at the sight of danger, Black. But what I see is a kitten who hides and cries at the sight of snakes.

For someone who keeps braved a chamber filled with basilisks, you're afraid of Snape's lecture? You need to set your priorities straight, Black.

Sometimes I wonder what makes a Gryffindor: a dash of loyalty, five cups of arrogance, and a teaspoon or courage or is it all buckets of stupidity?

Glad to be here to comfort you, Black.

There were days when she wanted to rip that smirk off his face or slam his face into a really, really rough tree, but it was those little remarks that got her through. He always claimed that she was someone who always does the impossible, but what he did not know she was able to do it because of his little push.

Now, it was the babe in her womb that was giving her the fuel to face the consequences of her actions.

Sirius said he would understand. It was expected that Regulus would be disappointed or say a few words at her, nothing hurtful, but he would understand, and he would protect her and the child. But when she came to the door of the study, before she could even knock, she heard them all speaking. Talking about her: Sirius and Malia defending her while Regulus kept calling her child with a poisonous tongue "his bastard". It was then she realized she was not safe there – that the child was not safe there.

Her grandmother, no doubt, would have her get rid of the child. She would lie if she said she did not think of the option to save herself, but she couldn't. She couldn't do it to her and Theodore's child, not when they both had their hearts broken at the thought of this never happening. That they can never have a family together. So, as quietly as she could, she slipped through the halls with the thought of running.

She tried to use the floo to get to Nott Manor but the connection was blocked, so she did the only thing she could without catching anyone's attention, she slipped through the catacombs inside the fireplace. The plan was to send a patronus to Theodore or Roman – whoever would get it first – of her current state, to help her get out of London and bring her home, then gather money from the vault key Theodore left her, she would pay him later for it, and grant safe passage to Danu. She can't apparate fearing of what it might do to the babe, and she most certainly cannot ask one of the valet to get her a carriage, it would have her uncle following her before she reached the borders.

Sweat dripped from her temples, and she had the urge to remove the pelisse to relieve herself of the heat, but not only was it a protective armor from a Killing Curse or any attacks, but it was also the only piece of clothing that could pass as a dress.

Halfway through the catacombs, but still nowhere near an exit that was far enough from Grimmauld Place, to emerge in Muggle London would be best. She could blend in the crowd there – hopefully there was a crowd at this time, though, she was doubtful. At least in London no one knew her but for that family who kept reappearing into her life in the most unexpected ways– the Bridgertons. They were not friends, rather acquaintances or a serendipitous familiarity. It was a million to one possibilities that they would run into each other there though.