Chapter Twenty-Four

It was not her bedroom that Carina went to, she did not go into any rooms at all. Instead, she walked to the garden, specifically the maze. She has seen that garden numerous times from her bedroom window and has memorized the twists and turns of the maze to find the path leading to the center, and that was where she has gone. Into the maze with only Alcander and Oberon as company, and a bottle of whiskey. Walking through the tall hedges, focusing on the calculated turns of the path while cursing the two gentlemen in the drawing room.

She was not ignorant that putting Cedric and Theodore in one room would not end in disaster, she expected having to mediate between the two but what she did not expect was them talking about her – for her – while she was there. Thinking what was best for her. Yes, she has chosen to go here and take Theodore's offer of protection, but it was her choice after weighing the situation. She came here, to Danu, to seek refuge and to give her uncle time to clean London – and she did not mean the rats. She took Theodore's offer because she knew that she was safe in the Highlands, that he had control on his duchy, even when his own family wants them both dead. Coming here would also limit the number of people prodding into their situation. The lesser people know about the issue, the better.

Let Skeeter do her work of making their smoke and mirrors.

To keep the ton's attention on her match than the lust for her blood.

She expected more from them both, but it seems their ego and masculine pride has let down those expectations, as they saw her as nothing but a prized mare. It took everything in her power not to cast the Bombarda Spell at them and –

"Oof!"

Something ran into her. Looking down, she saw a boy, probably around eleven years old, with curly red hair, his face covered with freckles, eyes green as grass. He was covered in dirt – soil – and a few leaves and thorns were caught in his clothes and hair, and in the slightly burned tunic and trousers. A large gash at his cheek. Then there were his boots that looked like it has seen better days.

She has seen children in the grounds as Tamers have their homes and families here, but never in Nott Manor. Even when Theodore told her that the garden was free for everyone to use and see, none of the Tamers would come out of respect for the duke. They did not want to abuse his generosity too much, Bjorn told her, also because of rumors that the garden was haunted by the spirit of the former duchess. Most likely a rumor spread by Roman no doubt, to bring a little mischief and fun.

The boy cursed in Gaelic which Carina understood. When she was a child, she asked Roman to teach her all the curses in Gaelic, from the simple ones to the ones that would have given her grandmother a heart attack – if only Walburga understood the language. He looked up at her and immediately stepped back, bowed clumsily, and said in a thick Scottish accent, "Apologies, milady."

His eyes widened when he saw the half-consumed bottle of whiskey, seeing his gaze, Carina hid it behind her back and asked, "What's your name?"

He chuckled awkwardly, "My name is not important. I should get back to work. Good day!" He turned away from her and was about to take a step forward but stopped as he came across a crossroads.

Carina smiled and came to his side. "And what work would that be?"

"Uh... gardening!" He proudly said, facing her with his chest out. "I tend to the gardens!"

"You don't say..." she bit back an amused smile. "So, you're responsible for keeping the hedges polished."

"Yes!"

"And the flowers bloom."

"Yes, I-I tend to those."

"You must be very good at your job for the duke to hire you at such a young age," Carina bent down to be his height, her eyes looking at him lazily and mischievously.