Chapter Thirty-Four

In a house as big as Nott Manor it was easy avoid someone if they wish to. For days, Carina has avoided Sirius who has been staying in the East Wing of the Manor. Regulus was forced to leave as his presence was needed in Londinium. With the remaining days they were permitted by their duties to remain in the Manor, the Goldsteins and Potters, and Remus tried to coax Carina, to let her see reason and forgive her fathers. But she too managed to avoid them, until the day they were to leave.

A week or less, that was how long the Goldsteins and Potters were gone from their estates, and now they must return, and with them was Remus who too had to return to his search for Pettigrew. Standing outside to of the manor where a carriage was being prepared with the trunks of the families, Carina stood a good distance from Sirius who was present to say goodbye. With him still believing dead, it was apparent that Sirius remained in hiding, and the only logical way to do that was for him to stay in Nott Manor. He would be living in splendor, no doubt, but lonely as Carina refused to dine with him nor be in the same room as him.

Coincidentally, Regulus came to the Manor just in time when the Potters and Goldsteins were to leave. It was to visit

As James, Charity, and Tom said their goodbye to Sirius, Lily approached Carina and brought her to an embrace. "When will you return home?" she asked.

"Who knows," Carina replied. "Considering it's a rat they're looking for; I expect it to be years."

"No doubt you would prefer that, yes?" Carina turned to her sharply, eyes narrow. But Lily did not retreat. "Your parents made me your godmother because they believe that I could balance out Remus' carefree way of raising a child. I take that role as a godmother very seriously, Carina. You're a grown woman now, I have no doubt about that, but please," she turned to a whisper. "Go home. Staying here any longer will only make things worse. There is a man waiting for you in London, Carina, do not do this to him."

"I'm safer here," Carina pressed on.

"What you are is free from public eye, that's what makes it more tempting... you're away from society so you forget who you are and what you are."

Carina was about to argue but as she looked into her godmother's green eyes, she knew... and she did not need to be reminded. She knew but...

There were no buts.

It was the last thing she spoke with her godmother as Lily boarded the carriage and left with the others. They watched as the carriage disappeared into the sky and then beyond the mountains that have kept Clach Dhubh isolated from the rest of the island. Or even the world.

About to return inside the house, Carina paused in mid-step when she saw Sirius about to as well. The man saw her actions, he hesitated, wondering if maybe this could be a chance to finally speak to her but seeing how she stepped back, her eyes cannot meet his, he went inside, head hung low.

~*~

"Greyback has not spoken since he came to Thistle Hall," Theodore began. They were gathered in the drawing room to discuss about their "guest" in one of the cells under the Hall. Roman have joined them and has relayed the message to him before that time. "Mostly because his face is still healing from the burns."

Carina did not flinch this time, she remained still in her seat on the couch with Oberon on her lap. The puppy happy with the strokes through his fur. Regulus and Sirius, who sat far away from each other, sighed, their eyes glancing at the young woman from time to time.

"Of course, we don't blame you," Roman added, referring to Carina.

She gave him an incredulous look. "Good to know. What about the other werewolves in his pack?"