Chapter Forty-Two

Carina woke later than she intended. Rose, though late, came to dress her for the day and did her hair, when it came to the perfume, Carina stopped her claiming that she wanted to save the last drop for the ball tonight. The Potters were hosting for the night – one of the families who replaced one of the removed families in the Sacred 28. Not an odd request, but when Rose mentioned that she may go out and purchase another before tonight, but Carina did not want to cause her the trouble. So, she went down to breakfast with her family.

Everyone in the house noticed the sudden change in the lady's routine. They believed it was simply an adjustment after a month of freedom in Nott Manor but after a month passed, and another nearing its end, Carina was nowhere near of returning to her old, bubbly, punctual, snarky, and dutiful self. It was the opposite – the sluggish manners, the retirement in her bedroom too often, the irritation, the easy fatigue, and loss of anything.

Regulus believed it was because of how the Dowager treated her: the endless watch placed. To observe if Carina still was a maiden just as when she left for Nott Manor. The spot of blood she presented to her grandmother was proof enough, and then the next he heard from the servants for this month had a healthier amount than the last.

He have talked to his brother and Malia – separately – about Carina's situation, about how they could improve it but neither councils helped. Sirius claimed it was best to let her think for herself, trust that she could help herself and he would simply be the listening and understanding father; Malia offered that a good talk with Carina would ease them both, to listen to what she had to say, but while doing so he must be a father and not a duke.

Both options were fruitless as Sirius' advise led to her further destruction, and Malia's had him realized that the daughter he knew was now a stranger to him. She can't look him in the eye for too long. Gone were the times when they would exchange snarky remarks on anyone, whenever he would start, Carina would simply smile and do no more.

Sometimes Regulus wanted to march up to Nott Manor and question Theodore Nott about what happened in the Manor while Carina was there to have her come back so broken.

"Ah, finally, the Lady of the house graces us with her presence," Walburga commented as Carina entered the room.

Snuffles immediately rose from his corner and met her at the double door, Carina bent down slightly to brush her fingers against his head. As she approached the table, nausea hit her but she gritted her teeth to push herself closer. To get through the morning, and then – maybe – she could go back to her bedroom and take a nap or she could lock herself in the Tower and take a nap on the long couch there.

Regulus rose and pulled the seat for her, stopping the servant waiting. Carina thanked her uncle and started to put food into her plate.

"We saved you some blood pudding, I know that you like a full breakfast," Regulus brought the serving to her.

Carina cringed at the sight and pushed it away. "I-I don't feel like having blood pudding today, Uncle."

Brows furrowing, Regulus placed it down and offered the sausages but Carina refused and stuck with eggs and toast and some cucumber, and a glass of orange juice, then ate in silence.

"Do you and your intended have anything planned for today?" Walburga asked.

Carina did not hide her irritation. "I believe it is in the calendar you planned, Grandmother. We will be promenading today." In fact, Walburga has planned her social calendar up to the last month of the season, and the last ball which would be held in the Glass Dome. "We'll be back before evening so we may prepare for the ball tonight."

"And I thought you would be glad about the ball. It is, after all, hosted by the Potters."

A sigh. "I'm just tired."