CHAPTER 1

-- MAGUI --

"I never knew homesickness until I came home and just missed you..."

"Excited ka na ba, boss Mags?" Lia asked so I immediately hid my phone before she can see anything.

We are on my private jet making our way back to our home country.

"I never imagined myself coming back," I answered in a monotone. 

"Mind sharing?" Riley asked who was busy sipping wine while reading a magazine. "Bakit ba ayaw mong umuwi ng Pilipinas? It's been four years, Mags. You can tell us anything."

"Painful things, Ry." I smiled bitterly. "Painful things that we don't want to recall."

After landing, we stayed at Riley's place in Manila. She bought herself a house kahit sa Canada siya nakasettle. She just wanted to have a place to stay whenever she comes home. Unlike me, Riley keeps on visiting the Philippines to be with her family.

"Are you sure that I'll stay in the master's bedroom?" I asked because it was supposed to be her room.

"Yes! You deserve it since you haven't been home for a long time." Riley smiled at me. "I'll stay in the guest room with Lia. Malaki naman 'yon."

"Thank you." I smiled at her before locking myself in the room.

I wanted to be alone. 

I'm always alone.

I went out of the balcony to stare at the sun. It was already sunset in Manila. I remembered how Ashi and I used to stare at sunsets. Ngayon na lang ulit ako nakakita ng sunset dahil nilunod ko ang sarili ko sa trabaho. Papasok ako before the sun rises at umuuwi when the sun has already set.

I forgot how beautiful it was.

I took a picture of it and posted it on my Instagram story.

mfeola: Hindi kumupas ang kagandahan mo, sinta.

I showered and prepared myself for sleep. I was feeling jetlag from the long flight. I texted Lia that I wasn't in the mood for dinner so I'll just see them in the morning.

I lay down on the bed in hopes of getting a good night's sleep but I can't. I was just staring at the ceiling because I can't sleep... again. Fuck these insomnia attacks!

I sat on the bed and noticed a guitar beside the television. I took it and went back to bed.

"It's been a while, my old friend." I smiled bitterly as I started strumming the strings of it.

"Sa pagkumpas ng iyong kamay
Aking landas ginagabay
Nagiisang tiyak sa isang libong duda
Silong sa iyak at pagluluksa"

I started singing one of our favorite songs. Bawat Daan by Ebe Dancel is the song that Ashi used to sing for me all the time. Ang bawat linya ng kantang iyon ang pinanghahawakan namin para sa isa't isa.

But one mistake ended it all.

My mistake ended it all.

"Kung puso ko ay imamapa
Ikaw ang dulo, gitna't simula
Nahanap din kita"

My eyes opened when I heard Lia's loud knocks. The sun shined directly to my eyes which made me sit up straight. Nakatulog pala ako at yakap-yakap ko pa yung gitara.

"What do you want?" I opened the door, annoyed.

Lia knows that I didn't want my sleep disturb dahil minsan-minsan na lang ako nakakatulog.