Matchmaking

Soon everything started to return to normal. Sophie and her friends still went to Foxfire, Keefe occasionally pulled pranks on his mentors. And once in a while, Sophie was called on by the council for classified assignments. Of course there were some changes too. Multiple births were no longer prejudiced, a talentless could marry someone with a talent without it becoming a bad match. In fact, even though it took some getting used to, bad matches were no longer a thing. And Mr Forkle promised that he could construct a match list without the need of Sophie's biological parents, (under the fact that her genes have been manipulated too much to the point where her biological parents didn't play a big enough role as they usually do.)

Sophie came home from Foxfire one day to find a package on her dresser with the sign of the Black Swan. She quickly opened it and found Mr Forkle's familiar writing.

For Sophie, who I want to be happy. P.S give it to the Matchmakers when you're done.

Sophie looked into the rest of the package and found a thick stack of papers with a title page that read, "Matchmaking Packet."

Sophie was so happy that she accidentally transmitted, Woohooo I got my Matchmaking Packet! To her friends.

Fitz almost immediately transmitted back, So Mr Forkle stayed to his promise.

Yep. I can't wait to turn it in so that...you could maybe see my name on yours. (Note this is after Flashback when they already know about their feelings for each other)

I will definitely see your name on mine. I have no doubt.

A few days later Sophie turned in her matchmaking packet.and because she was a level 6, she was going to get her matchmaking list in a year. Fitz and Keefe entered the elite levels and because of Biana, they agreed to not open their lists until their whole group did.

A year passed easily, among which there were a few adjustments, but nothing stopped Sophie from feeling like she truly belonged in the lost cities.

"Sophie!" Edaline called from the door. Sophie had gotten home from school and showered.

"Yeah?" Sophie called from her room's door, coming out.

"Your matchmaking list arrived!" Edaline said.

Sophie sprinted to the door yelling, "REALLY?!" Sophie saw Edaline holding a scroll compartment. "OMG! I can't believe it!"

"Will you open it now?" Edaline asked, holding out the compartment.

"No Biana made us promise that we would open them at the same time at Everglen. I should probably get ready. Hold it for me until I'm done," Sophie said, heading to her room to change, "I won't be able to resist opening it if it's in front of me."

Edaline nodded and Sophie changed into a simple but pretty tunic and leggings. She took Vertina's advice to put her hair in a braid but refused to wear makeup. She was about to head out when her Imparter flashed and Biana's voice said, "SOPHIE FOSTER! Where are you?! Everyone's already here."

"I'm on my way right now," Sophie said, grabbing her Ruewen Crest, matchmaking list, and imparter and heading to the leapmaster. "Everglen!" She let the beam of light carry her away.

"Well come on!" Biana said at the gates while grabbing Sophie's hand and rushing to the living room.

Dex, Keefe, and Fitz were already there, but Biana only managed to convince them to wait. Keefe wasn't holding a scroll, he still didn't feel like registering was meant for him. The rest of their group refused to wait and would open them at their own time. Tam, Linh, Maruca, and Marella had received their scrolls and opened them, but made sure to only tell them who was on their lists after they opened theirs.

Sophie's eyes drifted to Fitz and how amazing he looked. He always was, but as a near adult, he was even...hotter.

"Well let's open them already!" Biana said, almost jumping up and down.

They nodded and opened the compartments and unrolled them. Sophie read her scroll from bottom up, looking for the names of her friends. Dex was her #25, Keefe hadn't registered so there was no way he would appear on her list. But she froze when she saw her number 1.

Obviously readers, know who it is.