Chapter 1: A letter from Hogwarts

CHAPTER 1

Ester's POV (character played by Anna Kendrick from from Pitch Perfect.)

I walked the empty nighttime streets of London alone, the pouring rain rolling off my face causing me to shiver and my glasses to fog up slightly. I sighed, pulling up the hood of my sweatshirt to shield my soaking dark brown hair from getting any wetter. At times like this when I was walking home from work at the nightclub, I wished that my awfully horrid, but very rich, powerful politician, monster of a step mother liked me enough to at least lend me her car on occasion. I mean, I was seventeen freaking years old and the woman still didn't think of me as responsible enough to own a car. Rolling my eyes at the notion, I slowly trudged on.

I could just hear the old bat now. "Until these abnormalities become less frequent, you aren't to go near the family car."

Then my father would nod in agreement, clinging to the step monster's arm like a lost puppy or something. "Absolutely. Listen to your mother."

I was beginning to hate them both very much. Ever since my biological mother died and my dad remarried Helen, they've been watching me like a hawk, keeping their eyes peeled and watching my every move for any 'abnormalities' in my behavior.

What are these 'abnormalities' you ask? To be completely honest, I'm not really sure and it kinda scared me. They started out very subtle at first but as the years went on, they became drastically more noticeable. The first time it happened was when I was thirteen and I was walking home from school. I was in a hurry to get back home since I had piano lessons and the instructor always yelled when I was late and gave me extra homework. (My step mom forced me to take them, might I add. She thought they would make me more of a 'proper young lady' as she put it.)

I was dashing across the street and was just about to set foot on my front lawn when a car came speeding around the corner, the driver talking on his phone, not paying attention to the road. I had no time to get out of the way and I was sure the car would hit me when I held out my hands in a useless attempt to stop the car. I closed my eyes tight. When I opened them again, I was on the roof of my house. When Helen found me an hour later, she locked me in my room for the rest of the evening, furious.

Other strange things happened too like my appearance changing when I was emotional or my pale skin tone darkening all of the sudden, but the most interesting one occurred only a few nights ago. I was behind the bar at the nightclub and a really good song came on. I think it was "Daylight" by Maroon Five. I can't be sure since it seemed like so long ago. Plus I'm really forgetful.

Anyway, as I worked serving drinks, I sang the song softly to myself. I hadn't even hit a very high note when every window in the place shattered, sending razor sharp glass flying all over the dance floor. One guy had to go to the hospital for stitches since a large shard of glass cut him right across the forehead. I felt so guilty about it because I knew it was my fault and my step mum only made it worse when I got home. Somehow, she heard about the incident and blamed it all on me. At one point when I talked back to her she screamed at me, losing her temper. "You are poison to this family! Poison I tell you!" She shrieked. "You could have been a more obedient child who had proper manners and didn't wear those disgusting piercing's in your ears, but no. You just have to cause trouble everywhere you go!"

I was kicked out of the house that night and my father didn't even lift a finger to stop her. And since I really didn't have any friends to stay with, I slept on the front porch.

I was suddenly snapped from my daydream when a majestic looking horned owl swooped down inches from my face, dropped a slightly dampened envelope into my hands and flew off into the cloudy night sky. I frowned and looked down at it curiously. The parchment was slightly yellowed with age. On the front was an old timey looking wax seal. On the seal was a big letter H. Surrounding the H was a lion, a badger, an eagle and a serpent. "Odd." I mumbled, tearing open the envelope.