Chapter 25:Here in the Shadows

"Regulus?"

It wasn't the Regulus he'd seen in pictures, and it certainly wasn't whom Harry would imagine if he'd ever picture Regulus as a grown man. His mother and most the Black's always claimed how much Harrison had looked like Regulus. Sirius, Regulus' own brother, had said that Harrison looked like a more...beautiful, softer version of Regulus. And seeing Regulus, or, this man Harry assumed would be Regulus, Harry couldn't really agree...

The man was cold. His face was fuller than any aristocratic Black Harry knew. Although the man was handsome, he looked... rough, cold, and cruel. His eyes were a dark green, almost black in color, like Bellatrix's. Not bright green like they used to be. Harry supposed Regulus did look like a Black, but he didn't look like Harrison, more like a grim Sirius. And what made the picture even more eerie...

There was no Seer mark on Regulus' cheek.

And Harry knew his cousin was a Seer. Perhaps not a full fledged Seer, but he had practiced Seer magic...there should have been at least a silver or gold mark on his cheek.

The man's lips gave a lifeless grin. "Yes, cousin, I am Regulus, often called Master Black to the new recruits." He stepped forward, closer to Harry. His eyes drank in his form, studying him. "You're a littlesmall...smaller than I thought you'd be. But you do look more like a Black than any Malfoy."

"So I've been told," Harry frowned, resisting the urge to roll his eyes at the overused phrase. "Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I thought you were dead. Sirius and my-," he paused, breathing deeply. "Narcissa said you were dead. By the Assassin Guild, no less."

Regulus grinned coldly. "I am dead, in a way, if you will." His voice was silky and deep, almost like Voldemort's. The man lifted his top lip and then Harry saw the sharp incisors in the man's mouth.

Vampire. Harry tensed up, knowing already that most the Assassin Guild was made up of vampires. It had to be expected that he would encounter them here. He'd been prepared for it, even, but he hadn't been prepared to see Regulus as one when the man was supposed to be dead.

Regulus chuckled darkly, stepping out of the light and deeper into the shadows. "The Guild allowed me time alone with you. They aren't very big on special treatment when it comes to students, but when it involves family; I can't seem to agree with that rule." Harry tensed when he felt Regulus standing next to him. He hadn't even heard any steps or breathing, or even a rustle of clothing. "Come now, let's go for a walk. We have much to catch up with."

Harry blindly made his way through the dark after picking up the abandoned dagger. Even if he was known for his grace, it was nothing compared to Regulus. The man was stealth, silent. The corridor they came up upon was cold and made of stone. "This is where the new recruits stay," dark eyes flashed in his direction. "You'll be staying down here, sleeping somewhere cold...and alone..." Regulus spoke sinisterly.

Harry raised an eyebrow, not daunted by the attempt to scare him. "And it's amazing, really, I have magic, I will be able to sleep warm."

"Ah," Regulus cocked his head. "I'm afraid magic is forbidden in the sleeping chambers, especially the first stage of training. You'll learn to live cold." Regulus led Harry away from the cold underground dungeons and up the stairs to a warmer part of the castle. "This first stage, we usually weed out the weak. We will test your skill in defense and martial arts. And more importantly," Regulus reached over to tap Harry's head. The finger was cold and hard. "We'll test your mentality; how strong you are, how dedicated..."

Incisors flashed in a smile again. It was a cold smile and Harry couldn't feel one emotion coming off from Regulus. "The first stage is the longest and the most difficult. After the first stage, you'll be an assassin; you'll be one of our members."