Chapter 23:Your Presence Still Lingers Here

"What's wrong with her?" Lucius jumped at the voice. He was sitting beside Narcissa's bed, clutching her cold hand in his. Behind him, Lord Voldemort stood in the doorway, observing. His red eyes seemed to be fiercer today as Lucius could feel them piercing his back.

"She has a disease, My Lord, the Lewd disease." He replied numbly, staring at her motionless face. He felt the Dark Lord enter the room.

"The incest disease?" Voldemort inquired disgustedly. Lucius closed his eyes briefly.

"Her bloodlines were closely bred, My Lord. The Black family is notorious for interbreeding..." and with interbreeding, wizards resulted in the Lewd disease at times. It was pure chance with whoever received the disease. Narcissa was unfortunate to receive the disease; she shouldn't have been punished for something her ancestors had done. Lucius bowed his head, holding her hand. She was the world to him, and now, now the disease took the upper hand.

"She had fought it most of her life, My Lord. The Healers said she'd survive and fight off the disease successfully. Over the course of this year, it's spread." It affected the immune system. It ate away at its hosts' body and magic. Eventually, the host would weaken and perish. Narcissa had been such a fighter...

"Have you gotten him tested?"

Him. Lucius should have known the Dark Lord wouldn't care much about Narcissa. The man had a one track mind when it came to his son. "At birth," Lucius murmured. "Neither he nor Draco had the disease then."

"Then," Voldemort hissed. "That was over sixteen years ago, Lucius. The Lewd disease can develop in early years. Have you not tested them recently?" Lucius remained silent, stroking Narcissa's hand. "I want him tested."

"Yes My Lord."

The man came in further, looking down his nose at Narcissa. There was a slight curl to his lip as he studied her and crimson eyes were void of any emotion. "Her death will destroy him," he glanced across the room. Lucius glanced up, seeing the picture the Dark Lord was looking at. In the private chambers of their bedroom, Narcissa hung many pictures; pictures that showed emotion, not their pureblood masks to the public. There was one picture in particular that he, himself, always stood and stared at in wonder.

Harrison was being embraced from behind by his mother. On his face, was the largest smile Lucius had ever seen from his son. He was laughing, embracing his mother's arms, pulling her closer. Narcissa looked radiant as she lovingly nuzzled Harry's cheek.

"I know," Lucius rasped, feeling his throat constrict. He remembered seeing Harrison's expression as she collapsed. He'd never forget it.

"Does he know?"

"Yes, I told him earlier today." Lucius flashed the Dark Lord a bitter smile. "Of course he accused me of withholding the truth once again before running out. Somewhere..."

"Do you know where he went?" Lucius knew, without a doubt, that the Dark Lord would look for Harrison no matter what he said to try to convince him that the boy needed space.

"He just ran," Lucius ran a hand through his hair. "When he doesn't want to be found, he disappears successfully. He did that as a little boy, always hiding in the manor." He frowned, realizing that he needed sleep. He was speaking far too much to the Dark Lord. After the ritual, the man distanced himself from Lucius, easily treating him like scum. Now, now the Dark Lord seemed half way lenient. Perhaps it was because Harrison was no longer at Hogwarts and vulnerable to the Dark Lord... he didn't know. With the Dark Lord, he would never know.

His spidery hand landed on Narcissa's forehead. "You know I'd help find a cure..."

"For him?" Lucius replied bitterly. "Not for her, but for him." The Dark Lord sneered at him and Lucius lowered his gaze. "I apologize."