3: Sole Guardian

Suyeon bites her lips, her mind is now full of stuffs. She feels like she is giving up on lying. Her eyes meet Younghoon who is looking hurt than ever. She excuses herself to the washroom, leaning on the wall. "Kim Younghoon... I know you're outside. Can you come inside?"

Younghoon stands in front of her, surprised that she still can see him. "You actually can still see me?" He asks.

"Can I hug you?" Suyeon softly requests. "I am not sure if I should accept to be closer to Juyeon? I know you have been looking at us... But I seriously have mixed feelings."

Younghoon hugs her, comforting her as how she needs. "But he really likes you... I can see from his eyes." He tries not to sound disappointed with the reality.

"I am afraid to start any new relationship. To be honest when you suddenly told me it's our day 1, I was mad because I don't want any..." She finally tells him the truth.

"I actually don't mind about that because I don't know you're this uncomfortable. I can distant myself from you if I am burdening you-"

Suyeon breaks the hug, cupping Younghoon's face. "But I also don't know how long you will stay like this because I know... When you wake up, you might not remember me."

The boy smiles at him, caressing her hair and face. "But I can't urge you to like me too... You've been suffering a lot in your past relationships."

"If I accept to be closer to Juyeon... Can you please continue to stay by my side? I don't want you to... to keep on reminiscing your bad memories before you comma." The girl asks.

Younghoon kisses her and nods. "If you're not uncomfortable with him too, don't push yourself."

Juyeon waits for Suyeon to be back from the toilet and mixes the noodles for her. He doesn't eat first because he knows it is rude to do so. He smiles as Suyeon rushes back to sit in front of him. "Sorry if I made you uncomfortable again." He said.

"No, I'm such a coward who can't answer your question right away." Suyeon insists.

"Let's eat. You have few minutes left before your break ends. You don't need to give me a quick answer too."

The girl stutters, "do you mind if tonight I meet you again?"

Suyeon bows to Juyeon thankfully as he walks her together back to her cafe. She knows it sounds ridiculous for him to just escort her to the place nearby but the gentleman side of Juyeon doesn't mind of the small matter. She notices how Younghoon is looking the way Juyeon treats her. I seriously want to know the reason why Eunha broke up with you when you're this caring.

As she enters the cafe, she heard a voice of quarrel on the counter. A customer is being mad at her drinks to one of Suyeon's co-workers. She tries to calm the woman down but she just gets herself being splashed with the hot drink on her right arm. Younghoon really wishes he can handle the situation by himself but he is just a visible soul to only Suyeon.

"Suyeon, let's go to treat the burn." The manager tells her worriedly.

"I'm fine. I can just wash it and it will heal by itself. I think we should just try to make the order right for our customer." Suyeon calmly rejects the offer.

Younghoon holds her shoulder, "I think you should listen to your manager. It seems big and can't be heal without any medication."

Suyeon ignores Younghoon's words and goes to the coffee machine to remake the order. She holds the pain as she presses the machine a bit hard. Everyone around her is concerned about her condition except the customer. She finishes all the orders quickly by herself and leaves the workstation to go rest at the staff room.

Younghoon looks at Suyeon with full of worries. The girl hugs herself, tries to hold her cries because she knows Younghoon is looking at her. "Can you leave me alone for a while? I don't want to look weak in front of you." She sniffs.

The boy stays silent and approaches her. He takes her burnt arm, rubbing it softly. He knows it will leave a scar. "Don't make Juyeon worried about you. Let's treat this, okay? It's okay if you look weak in front of me but not Juyeon. I don't want this relationship to become as bad as yours and mine before." He tries to help her.

"Why you're so diligent on making my relationship with him become successful when you were the one who confessed first?" Suyeon wipes her tears.

The boy just smiles. "Quick. Let's get it treated before your manager babbles at you."

She stops him from distancing himself. "I need answers."

Younghoon stands still. He doesn't know how he can express his feelings. Actually he always feels jealous when he saw Juyeon excited talking to her. But he knows he can't do much if he still insist to be with her. "Don't regret your life when you can still enjoy it. He is a nice guy. Unlike me."

"Liar."

The manager suddenly gets into the room, overheard the alone conversation by Suyeon. She comes to see the girl's arm and takes a seat next to her. "I'm sorry you have to face this situation when you're having other problems. You have been suffering a lot when you worked here. You're still young and I think you better find new jobs at any decent place. It will be a pity to get your body with lots of scars and traumas working here."

"But, my coworkers here are so kind." She tries to convince the manager.

"If you still want to work here, it is fine. But it-"

"Is there a reason why you are telling me this? You have been telling me to quit this job since last month.." Suyeon wants to know the truth.

"We... want to close this cafe."

"What..?"

"We have been in debt for too long and the amount of customers decreased. We can't find any new funds to aid our cafe anymore." The manager slowly tells her.

"So... When is the final day for us to work here?" Suyeon tries not to be emotional.

"The end of this month... So please find other places." The manager leaves after giving that words.

Younghoon just looks at Suyeon who is trying to cope with the situation. He knows the girl needs support right now but all he can do is hugging her and telling her not to give up. He wants to do more but he realizes he should not when there is Juyeon by her side.

"I shouldn't tell Juyeon about this, right? He will be worried about me and it will give him more works to look for my new job." The girl muffles in Younghoon's broad chests.

The soul doesn't know what to reply. He just pats her back, consoles her as much as he could. He is afraid if his suggestions and thoughts might destroy her relationship with Juyeon.