24 - Dark. Quiet. Lonely.

A/N - 5000+ my loves. Sorry for the late update, life happened and I had to fly out of state at the last minute - just got home today lol; get somewhere comfy babes, I have a feeling you're gonna love this one. Get some water and snacks <3

"Please don't push me away."

✧✧✧

Fall came faster than George had expected. It was about a week and a half into September now. Honestly, the days lately had started to blur together. When one day ended, another started right as he got home. One could call it the Dream effect. He'd walk through the door of his house and just get the sense that Dream was already on his way to George's for yet another mindless adventure.

And those adventures became more systematic. A part of George's everyday routine. Wake up, go to school, go home, get picked up by Dream, go back home, sleep, and repeat. It was a change in George's usually impenetrable schedule. If he was being honest, he didn't really mind it. Not when the places Dream took him were absolutely stunning and got him out of his own head. Who would be thought that getting out of the house would actually feel good?

"My parents are out for yet another business trip," George said from the wooden deck, his feet mindlessly moving back and forth in the water. His jeans were pulled up his calves. It was chilly out, but not freezing. Just the way George liked it. Beautiful fall weather.

"For how long this time?" Dream asked from the water. His hair was soaked through, sticking to his head and neck. His shirt was discarded on the deck beside George's legs. Dream's wallet, keys, and phone lay on top of it. George sighed and leaned back on his palms that were pressed flat against the splintered wood and looked up at the sky that was painted in bright shades of pink, purple, and orange. "Just a couple of days. Four, I think." George said with a soft sigh. Dream seemed to understand to some extent how George felt whenever his parents would just leave him at the house for days on end. It made him feel less lonely in some ways.

Dream splashed quietly from the water, most likely just swimming back and forth. "Uh oh. That big house all to yourself for almost a week? Don't tell Sap or Alex, they might try and throw another party." Dream said with amusement before dunking his head underwater.

George waited for Dream to emerge before saying, "Yeah and you better keep your big mouth shut." he said to the other. Dream scoffed, splashing a little bit of water onto George's leg, "My mouth's not that big."

George huffed, "I'm just surprised that my fear of the ocean hasn't found its way out yet." Dream grinned and treaded over to George. From how tall Dream was and how shallow the lake was, the other could easily stand in the water with still his upper body and shoulders above water.

"You think so low of me, Blueberry." Dream said. George narrowed his eyes and kicked his feet back in forth in the cool water. The skin of Dream's abdomen would slightly skin George's feet with every kick but neither one of them said anything about it.

"You should get in," Dream said, taking a closer step toward George. The shorter shook his head and braced his hands on either side of his thighs, tilting his head ever so slightly. "In that water? It's nearly as bad as the ocean. It's pitch black."

Dream sighed and took another step forward, his head tilted up to look at George. The shorter's breath hitched at the feeling of the soft calluses of Dream's palms graze his legs, gently gripping the back of his calves. Dangerous, dangerous territory they were walking in. "It's not that bad."

George shook his head, "If I can't see what's in it, I'm not getting in." he tried to say sharply, but with the way Dream's thumbs were dragging soft circles against his skin, it came out dull and breathless. Dream nodded, "Fair. Very fair."