THIRTËEN

Cain

After Finnick's break down in the car he goes silent and leans against the window.

I don't say anything to him, I just drive. I can tell he needs a minute and I don't want to bombard him with dumb questions.

When I pull up in front of his house he doesn't even look at me when he gets out. He does wait for me at the door though.

He pulls a key from his pocket and unlocks the door, pushing it open for me. I walk in and he follows close behind.

"Do you want something to eat or drink?" He asks

"I'm ok." I say giving him a small smile

He nods towards the stairs and I follow.

This was the first time I've seen his house outside of his dark room.

It was nice and kinda big for just the three of them.

I looked at the paintings and pictures that were hung on the wall, smiling when I see a little Finnick.

"It that you?" I ask, a smile on my lips

Finnick looks at the picture I'm looking at and nods.

"Yeah, that's me. I was maybe six or seven I think." He says

The framed picture was of a small boy with a huge smile on his face, both front teeth gone.

"I had just lost my other front tooth that day and Daddy just had to get a picture." He smiles

I smile at the fact he still calls his dad, daddy. It's cute.

"You and Elliot?" I ask pointing to a picture of two muddy boys hugging each other

"Yep, that was still when we were in the Netherlands. We were three I think."

I follow him and stop at one more picture. I stare at the beautiful woman in the frame, one of the boys dangling off her neck while the other is pressing a kiss to her cheek.

"My mother." Finnick says

"She's beautiful." I say

She had long curly dark brown hair and the most striking green eyes I've ever seen. They were even lighter and sharper than Finnick's, that you just can't seem to look away from. She had a ring in her nose and a beautiful bright smile.

"You look like a perfect mix of your parents." I say

"She doesn't look like that anymore." He says

He stares at the picture.

"Her drinking messed her up, her hair was thin and lost it's beautiful curls, she became thinner and thinner and lost that sparkle in her eyes." He says

I look at him.

"I say I don't remember her but I don't think that's true." He whispers

I reach out and pull him into my arms. He rests his head on my shoulder and wraps his arms around my torso.

"You miss her." I say