Chapter 6

It's weird that I dreaded the bell ringing. I suppose it was because I hated taking so much time with my crutches. So when the bell rang, interrupting Ms. Garcia, Everyone rushed out and I was left all alone again. Thankfully, Colin was just across the hall, so he came in and helped me with my bag.

"Hey Stells," Colin said as I put the code for my locker in, "I've got a question for you."

Just as I was about to ask him what it was, a paper fell out out of my locker as I opened it up. "Oh, can you pick that up for me?" I asked him. He knelt down and picked it up. He handed me the paper. I slipped it into my bag that was still hanging off Colin's shoulder. "So, about what I was going to–"

"Tell me later," I cut him off short, taking my bag from him and making my way to the lab.

I found Josh already sitting at our table, still a couple minutes early. He was focused on something. "Hey," I greeted him.

"Hey, Stells," he greeted back, looking up at me for a second, then returning to what looked to be Algebra homework.

I was suddenly reminded of the paper that fell from my locker. I dug into my bag to find it under my books. It was slightly more crumpled than when I first saw it. I unfolded it carefully. The first thing I saw was my name written at the top of the page that had clearly been ripped out from a notebook.

Stella, the letter began. I read on.

It was a Tuesday. I remember because on Tuesdays in the summers, I get up early in the morning to surf. Usually, I would be the only one out there, but on that day, that particular day, I wasn't alone. There was a girl, surfing as well.

My eyes widened and a gasp escaped my lips. Josh looked over at the letter, saying nothing. He read the letter along with me in silence.

Finding out what had actually happened to me the day I wiped out was the last thing I thought I would be doing during Chemistry. Also, finding out who saved me was out of my agenda.

And I suppose it stayed out of my agenda. The last part of the letter was ripped out. Whoever wrote this letter–whoever saved me was close; but he didn't want me to know who he was.

I finished reading feeling worse about the situation. Before this, I could walk around the halls of this small school, and easily tell myself that whoever saved me could be elsewhere. But after the letter, my curiosity deepened and suddenly I couldn't stop thinking: have I met him? Do I know him at all?

Thoughts rounded my brain and whatever what was being discussed in class escaped me. I completely zoned out, until Josh spoke up. "Well, what now?" he asked.

I looked at the letter again, and stared at it. "I have no fucking clue," I replied, realising that I'd said it a little too loud, because Mr. Adams heard me.

"Ms. Morgan," he called. He ripped a hall pass, and began to write me a slip. "To the principal's office, now."