Chapter 4

A month later, and I was finally getting used to my normal routine at Handon High. The people here were extremely friendly. Much friendlier than the people in New York. I got closer to some of Kianna's friends, too. Especially Colin and Josh. Turns out they aren't nearly as intimidating as they looked, even if they were on the football team. The same went for Lilia and Natalie. They were both on the cheer squad, but they were as sweet as a person could be. I'd been completely lumped with the cool kids of the neighbourhood and I hadn't noticed until a month later.

~

Mrs. Anderson was proving to be as boring as her reputation set her out to be. Not that I was complaining, or anything. In fact, I was quite happy to have her as my English teacher. She never gave pop quizzes, and she let us use our notes during tests. That's why I take down everything I can. Other than those two perks, she was generally not that great.

I continuously checked my watch to see how much time left we had. We were dismissed to lunch at 11:40, and frankly, it could have not come any sooner. Just as Chuck next to me was about to snooze, the bell rang him (and the rest of us) awake. The students filed out one by one, but I was left in the classroom with Kianna and Colin, struggling with my crutches, my books and my bag.

After everything went into place, we headed to the cafeteria. Lilia and Natalie were already seated at our usual spot with their trays of food in front of them. Kianna helped me to the table before leaving me to help get my food with Colin. Lilia and Natalie left their previous conversation and started a new one with me.

"So," Lilia started, "How do you like it here so far?"

I smiled and said, "I love it here. The people are great and I enjoy living right by the beach."

"Kianna told us how great a surfer you are," Natalie beamed. I gave a weak smile, remembering how I still couldn't surf with this stupid injury.

"Oh, and we heard about your accident," Lilia said.

"I, personally, find it really romantic how a perfect stranger just saved your life and went anonymous," Natalie shared. "You could find him and it'd be like a movie!"

I was relieved when Josh appeared next to me. I didn't know how to respond to either Lilia or Natalie. In all honestly, despite how sweet and charming they were, I got along much better with Kianna, Colin and Josh. I don't know why since Kianna got along fine with the girls, but that's the way I felt. No one protested against it.

After a little while longer, Kianna came up to the table with Colin behind her with two trays. He put one of them down in front of me and took the seat in front of me. Kianna drifted off into a conversation about the school dance, which wasn't until December. But I guess two months was enough to make a girl anxious. I wondered for a bit about what dress might look good on me and where I'd get it until Colin asked what my next class was.

I retraced my brain to remember what came after lunch on Tuesdays. I wasn't the best at memorizing. I pulled out my schedule from my bag. I had free period right after lunch. Score.

"I have free period," I told him.