Chapter 5 - Josh

Stella,

It was a Tuesday. I remember because on Tuesdays in the summers, I get up early in the morning to surf. Usually, I would be the only one out there, but on that day, that particular day, I wasn't alone. There was a girl, surfing as well. It would be pretty awkward if I joined her, so I sat on the sand to wax my board. Once in a while I would glance at her direction. She never noticed me. But I wish she did.

The way she surfed was like no one I've ever seen before. Her snaps were sharper and her aerials were more solid than mine could ever be. I felt the wind getting stronger. The waves were rapidly increasing in speed and size. I figured that maybe it would be the perfect time to show this girl what I could do. As I paddled out, she got on one of the biggest waves that morning. The wave folded into a tube. I stopped there to wait for her to come out. I was preparing for the first thing I would say. "Damn, you're good," I was supposed to tell her when she came back out. But she didn't.

"Oh, shit," I said under my breath. I quickly paddled to where she was, to see if she was okay. When I saw that she was underwater, I rushed to remove my ankle strap and dived into the water to save her. The first thing I saw were corals. Her leg hit them hard. I started swimming faster. I reached for her arm, and pulled her up to the surface. I went on my back, swam towards my board, and pushed her on. I paddled for the beach. My legs were giving up on me, but I wouldn't let myself give up on her.

I carried her off my board, and put her on my shoulder. She had already passed out, so I told myself to go faster. I ran for my house, snatched my keys, and placed her in the back of my car. I drove like there was no tomorrow because it might have been in her case.

When I got to the hospital, I brought her inside where a nurse was readily available. She got one of those beds on wheels, and pushed her to a room. She told me to wait outside, but I couldn't. I didn't want her to know me as "the guy who saved her." I wanted her to know me for who I was. Not for what I did. I told myself that I'd find her one day at the same beach and introduce myself, become her friend, then eventually tell her that I saved her.

That girl was you.

And then so unexpectedly, I see you here at my school and everything goes out of plan. I know, it's weird that I say it's out of plan because you being here is supposed to make things easier, but when I saw your familiar face, suddenly I don't know what I'm supposed to say.

Stella, it was me.

-Josh

I spent most of my free period trying to make the letter perfect. After she came over for our Chemistry project, when we watched the sunset, everything changed. I looked at her differently. I had been wanting to tell her for the longest time, but I never had the chance. Maybe I just never had courage. But after driving her home, I suddenly had the confidence.

The thing about Stella is that she's different. She isn't one of those girls who's obsessed with prom, or dresses, or clothes. She doesn't care what people think of her. And it's so easy to talk to her. When you're with her, you're not afraid to be judged by who you really are, because judging is one of those things she never did. She's also so goddamn beautiful. Looking at her is such a pleasure.

When the bell rang, I hurried out to put it in her locker. But on the way, I had my doubts. The same ones I got when I was supposed to tell her two weeks ago when it was just her and I at the table at lunch. As I approached her locker, I slowed down. I didn't think I could do it. Not after what almost happened the day before. What if things between us became awkward? What if she could never look at me the same way again? My confidence rushed out of my system as quickly as it came in. I ripped the part where I'd written name. I crumpled it and placed in my pocket.

I immediately cleared my head and pretended nothing happened. I headed straight for the cafeteria.