Chapter 34

One year later (Epilogue pt. 1)
Laurel's POV
"Don't you think you've had enough to eat, little sister?" Heather rudely comments at the dinner table. "I'm sure you could stand to lose a few as you've gained quite a bit of weight since the last time I saw you."

Losing my appetite, I set my fork down on my plate and try not to down the glass of wine before me. I didn't invite my sisters to our place. Levi did.

Although it was sweet of him to fly them down from Texas, there's a reason I'm here and they are there. I wanted to be as far away from them as possible. I guess it wasn't far enough if they are currently sitting at the dining table insulting me to my face.

"Where's Declan?" My mother asks, changing the subject. "We have been dying to meet him since our plane landed."

Levi clears his throat, tugging on the collar of his shirt. "He will not be joining us tonight. He's with his uncle."

After the tragic turn of events a year ago, Declan's been spending more time at Everett and Haley's house.

Levi didn't want him to be continuously reminded of what happened. He has panic attacks every time he steps foot in this house, which is why Levi's looking to move.

Not only that, but Declan's barely getting any sleep at night. He wakes up screaming, his skin warm and his bed wet from having peed. He attends therapy almost everyday now and he hardly ever speaks anymore.

"It must be hard for you, knowing your son's a murderer," my other sister Caroline says, causing me to choke on my wine.

Levi's hand balls into a fist, my parents making no move to correct my disrespectful sisters and their insensitivity.

As a matter of fact, they join in. "How do you sleep at night?"

"Can we please talk about anything else?" I say, feeling that Levi was a comment away from exploding with anger.

It's been especially hard for him. All he's ever done is try to protect Declan. To shield him from everything having to do with his mother.

That day wasn't supposed to happen. It wasn't supposed to happen at all.
Declan was only four. He didn't know that pulling the trigger would leave him with so much trauma. He was just trying to protect us.

The police ruled it as self defense and closed the case. Natalie was buried six feet under, no one having bothered to show up to her funeral.

Not even her parents wanted anything to do with her. Apparently, they were always on Levi's side. As for Matthew, he will remain behind bars for the rest of his life.

"What I want to know is how someone like you could end up with someone like... her?" Heather says, eyeing me up and down before batting her lashes and flashing Levi with a flirtatious smile.

She's always finding some way to bring me down. It's always been like that ever since we were young. Either Heather's insulting my outward appearance, or Caroline's complaining about how I'm nowhere near as successful as she is.

And what do my parents do? Nothing. Because they believe everything my sisters say to be true. I'm practically the Cinderella of this dysfunctional ass family.

I sink down into my chair, wishing I could disappear. Leave it to my sisters to make me feel insecure.

Levi glanced over at me, his green eyes setting my entire body on fire. "How? I ask that myself everyday. I don't deserve her. Hell, I don't even deserve to love her the way I do. But I do. And I love her so damn much."

My family sat there with their mouths wide open, shocked by Levi's heartfelt words. Which made the smile forming on my lips stretch.

And to my surprise, it didn't stop there. Levi stood up and turned my chair towards him.

Pulling a small black velvet box out of his pocket, he got down on one knee. My heart began to race, feeling like it would burst as I stared at the box in his hands.

"I invited your family, because I wanted to ask them for their blessing. But it turns out, your blessing is the only one I need." He opened the box, revealing a large diamond ring.

My eyes widened, my breath catching in my throat. I couldn't take my eyes off the beautiful piece of Jewelry.

"Will you marry me, Laurel Emery Flynn?"

I leaped out of my seat, falling into his arms. "Yes! Of course I'll marry you!"

"Both my daughters are single," my mother offered, Heather and Caroline staring at Levi with hopeful eyes. "Surely they would be a better fit than Laurel."

Levi parted his lips, ready to come to my defense. But I shook my head and let him know that I had this one.

"Get out."

"Excuse me?" My mother said in disbelief. "That is no way to talk to your mother."

"Actually, I was talking to all of you. Now get the hell out of my house."

"How dare you speak to your family this way!" My father shouted angrily.

"Family?" I scoffed. "Pack your shit and go. Your flight leaves in two hours."

I waited until they were gone to release the breath I was holding. I couldn't believe I just did that. I finally stood up to my family.

"I'm so proud of you, babygirl." Levi praised, sliding the ring onto my finger and kissing the back of my hand.

"How proud?" I asked, biting my lip.

"Very fucking proud." He tugged me towards the stairs with the intention of taking me up to our room so we could celebrate.

But we never made it to our room.

****

Haley screamed when she saw me. Running over to me, she grabbed my hand so she could see my new engagement ring.

Throwing her arms around me, I glanced over her shoulder, Levi and Everett also celebrating with a hug.

I didn't think this day could get any better until Declan came running down the stairs.

"Hi bud!" I bent down to kiss the top of his head. Brushing his curls out of his face, I smiled down at him. "I love you, Declan. I love you so much."

"I love you too, mommy," his tiny voice spoke.

Everyone froze, including me. It wasn't just the fact that Declan was speaking again, but that he had also referred to me as mommy.

I broke down in tears, pulling him into my chest. Levi joined in, sobbing harder than I was.

"Aww," Everett said, his back leaned up against the wall behind him. "Don't you guys make such an adorable little family," he said with a smile.

I smiled, remembering the last time he said that. "You do know you're included in our 'little family', right?" Motioning them as well as Paxton and Silas to join us, we stood in the middle of their living room holding each other.

It wasn't until this very moment that I truly understood what it was like to have a family that loved you just as much as you loved them. And damn did it feel good.