Chapter 21

Laurel's POV
It was the middle of night when I woke up needing to use the bathroom. Slipping out from under Levi's arm, he grabbed me by my shirt and pulled me back.

I squealed, laughing at his incessant need to have me by his side. "You're not going anywhere. You're mine," he protested gruffly, his voice raspy and tired.

"I have to pee, Levi." I giggled, his beard tickling my skin as he peppered my neck and face with kisses. "It will only take a second, and then we can go back to cuddling."

He finally let me go. Getting out of bed, he made sure to give my ass a smack. Gasping, I rubbed my sore bottom, Levi smirking as I twisted my body to glare at him.

Padding across the floor, I went into Levi's bathroom located across the hall from his room. When I was done, I washed my hands and left.

As soon as I stepped back out into the hallway, Declan's voice filled my ears. He screeched in terror, running out his room and towards me with his shark plushie in hand.

Picking him up, I held him close as he sobbed in my shirt. Levi stumbled out of his room, having heard the shrill cry of his petrified son.

"What the hell happened!?"

"I-I don't know. I thought maybe it was another nightmare, but he looked like he was running from something."

Levi ran back into his room and returned with a gun in his hand. My eyes nearly popped out of my head as he went to go check Declan's room for any sign of an intruder.

"Call the police," Levi said when he re-entered the hallway. His brows knitted together as he put the gun on safety and took Declan from my arms.

I could see it in his eyes that he was trying to stay strong for Declan, despite being just as scared, if not more than he was.

Using my phone, I dialed the number to the police. I informed them of what happened and told them Levi's address.

They arrived shortly after I called them, Levi filling them in on the situation and escorting them to Declan's bedroom.

I followed them, and watched from the entrance as the detective and the two officers that were with him got to work. The window was open, the cool breeze blowing into the room causing Declan's dark blue drapes to dance.

The detective, who was wearing a long dark trench coat and white latex gloves dusted and took prints off anything he could. He took pictures of Declan's entire room and bagged a few of his items to be taken in as evidence.

One of the officers with short dark hair approached us with a pen and notepad in hand. "Do you mind if I ask you two a few questions?"

"No, not at all," Levi said.

Going out into the hallway, the officer shut the door to make us a feel a little more comfortable answering questions.

"So you said you were using the bathroom and then you heard him scream?"

I shook my head. "No. I was coming out of the bathroom when I heard him screaming. He was running towards me with his stuffed animal in his hand."

The officer wrote down everything I said in his notepad before directing his questions to Levi. "Is that when you went to go check his room?" He nodded. "And how do you know an intruder broke into your home?"

"Because I always keep his window closed."

The officer nodded, writing everything that was said down. He then looked to Declan, who shyly sunk further into his father.

"Are you okay, bud?"

When he didn't respond, Levi spoke. "It's okay, Declan. He's not going to hurt you." Still hesitant, Declan slowly nodded his head.