Chapter 23

"Who the hell do you think you are!? How dare you show your face here again after what you did!"

My emotions were running rampant, as I stormed towards her angrily with a closed fist. It was taking everything within me not to deck her in her beauty pageant face.

I kept just enough distance between us, not wanting her to get anywhere near Declan.

Clutching me tightly, Declan stared at the stranger who gave birth to him, and then abandoned him.

He has no idea why the woman who carried him for nine months left. He doesn't even know to call her mother, because no one ever taught him.

"You're such a big boy now, Decky."

Decky?

This bitch.

I rolled my eyes. "What do you want, Natalie?"

"I want my family back."

"You lost that right the moment you decided to abandon them."

"I have more right than you!" She snapped, causing Declan to flinch and tremble from behind me.

I tightened my hold on Declan when Natalie took a menacing step forward. "You think just because you're fucking my husband and playing the role of mommy with my son, that Levi won't just throw you out like the trash you are?" She scoffed, showing me her wedding ring. "Thank you for keeping my place warm, but it's time you step down and return back to the hole you crawled out."

As much as I wanted to insult her, I wasn't going to give her the satisfaction of stooping down to her level.

So I kept my mouth shut and swallowed every insult and curse that tried to surface. She's not worth my breath or time.

Instead, I kept a cautious eye on her while I sent Levi a quick text.

Me: Natalie's here.

He responded within seconds of my text being sent.

Levi: On my way.

I ignored Natalie and her attempts to try and get Declan's attention. His protection was my priority and I wasn't going to let her get anywhere near him.

If she wants him, then she's going to have to go through me first. Which will have to be over my dead body, because she's going to have to kill me.

"Come on, Decky. It's mommy, baby. You know me."

Declan shook his head and Natalie growled, growing frustrated at her failed attempts to coax Declan towards her.

I glanced over my shoulder, hearing a loud screeching sound. The tires on Levi's black truck scraped and burned against the tar as he pulled into the parking lot.

Hopping out of the vehicle, I catch a glimpse of rage burning in his eyes. He's quick on his feet, lunging at his ex-wife.

His hands are around her throat, his teeth bared, his jaw clenched, and a vein bulging out the side of his head.

"What the fuck are you doing here!?"

I just stand there, unable to move. I've never seen Levi so angry.

Natalie only laughs, unfazed by the threat currently towering over her with his fingers digging into her skin.

"Hi baby." She brushes her fingers over his crotch, anger rising up within me at seeing her touch him. "I've missed you so much." She bites her lip- something I do quite often, especially around Levi.

"I'm not your fucking baby," he retorts venomously. "Now answer the damn question."

"I want you back. I want our family back."

Levi shook with laughter, the sinister sound sending a frightening chill running down my spine.

"Baby-"

His fingers tightened around her neck, saliva dribbling from the corner of her mouth. She gasped for air, straining to breathe.

I wanted to scream for him to stop and let her go, but like Natalie, I too was struggling to speak.

Paralyzed, I watched as her fair skin turned red, fear evident in her ocean blues. "L-Levi..." Her arms started to flail, desperately trying to free herself from his grasp.

"I could fucking kill you right now for the shit you put my son through- for the shit you put me through." Tears streamed heavily down his face. "I hate you."

Her pupils enlarged at his unexpected words. I could see it in her eyes how deep his hurtful words cut. And damn did they cut deep.

She stopped struggling. Her arms went limp at her sides, her eyes beginning to close.

Stop him!

He's killing her!

My mind was screaming at me to stop him, to move. But I couldn't. My feet refused to budge.

And I knew why.

It was because deep down, a part of me wanted her dead. Having her out of their lives for good meant it would secure my place. And Levi wouldn't be given the chance to change his mind if she's gone forever.

I wouldn't ever have to worry about her taking back what I've worked so hard to rebuild these past few months.

How selfish of me to wish death on a person. Have I really allowed myself to be lowered to such standards?

The cord to my internal thoughts were severed, a tiny voice I didn't think I would ever hear from bringing me back to reality.

"N-No!" Declan shouted, running towards his father. He wrapped his arms around his father's legs, a flood of tears rolling down his blush pink cheeks.

Levi let go of Natalie, the feeble woman collapsing to the ground and clasping her throat. She coughed and sputtered, Levi paying her no mind as he turned to look down at his son.

"Did you just..." Falling to his knees, he began to sob. "I'm sorry, Declan. You weren't supposed to see daddy so angry."

"D-Don't cry... daddy."

I broke down in tears watching Declan wipe the tears from his father's eyes with his tiny hands.

Levi told me awhile ago that doctors had given up hope on Declan ever speaking. And that even if by some miracle he did speak- he would never be able to form full sentences.

Boy were they wrong!

Picking up Declan, Levi joined my side, his hand pressed against my back with his free hand. "Stay the hell away from my family," he seethed, his tone laced heavily with warning.

Natalie staggered to her feet, spitting on the ground in the process. "If it's a war you want, then it's a war you'll get."