Chapter 8

Two months later
Levi's POV
I still have no idea who's stealing from me. I had everyone within the stock company questioned with the hopes of luring out a suspect, but even the private investigators I hired keep coming to a dead end.

Aggravated with it all, I decided to spend some time with Everett at the bar. "How's Declan?" He asked, trying to get my mind off work as he popped the cap off his beer bottle and took a sip.

"Good. Although, he's become extremely attached to Laurel these last few months."

"Isn't that a good thing?"

I shook my head. "People always leave, Everett."

He sighed, taking another sip of his beer. "She's not Natalie, Levi."

"You don't know that. Natalie was my wife and Declan's mother. Clearly that shit means nothing, because she still left. So who's to say Laurel, who is merely my nanny won't leave Declan too?"

"I'm not a therapist or anything like that, but I don't think Declan's the one who has abandonment issues."

I glared over at him. "What are you trying to say?"

"I'm just saying that Declan's not the only one Natalie left."

I sat in silence, thinking about his words for a moment. He was right. Natalie didn't just leave our son, she left me as well.

I chugged down my beer, wanting to rid myself of these emotions I was currently feeling.

It's always been easier for me to put my issues all on Declan. It's just easier for me to avoid dealing with my problems then to face them head on.

"So what do you suppose I do?"

"Seek help for both you and Declan." Finishing off his beer, he slammed the bottle down on the counter and sighed in content.

Standing up, he glanced at his wrist watch. "Well, I'll see you tomorrow at work. I have to head home to tuck my kids in bed and make love to my gorgeous wife."

I didn't need to know that last part. He looked up at me, noticing the look of discomfort on my face by his lack of a filter.

"Oh don't be such a prude, Levi." He smacked my back, a wide smile etched into his features. "Go bury yourself in some pussy. I'm sure your right hand is sore from all that jacking off you've been doing since Natalie left." He chuckled, finding humor in his words.

"Fuck you," I said, downing the last bit of beer sitting at the bottom of my bottle.

He shook his head. "That would be weird, don't you think?" He burst into a fit of laughter, his entire upper body shaking as he patted my back once more and took his leave.

Rolling my eyes at my friend, I got the bartenders attention and asked for another beer. I was going to need it if I were going to get through another agonizing day of work tomorrow.

****

Laurel's POV
I just got done cleaning the kitchen when my phone rang. Drying my wet hands on my jeans, I glanced at the caller ID.

Upon seeing that it was Levi, I picked the phone up off the Island and answered it. "Levi?"

"Laurel!" He happily shouted into the phone.

Suddenly, there was a loud thud on the other end before another voice was heard. "Laurel, is it?"

"Yes, who's this?"

"I'm Zack, Levi's bartender. He Uh is currently passed out and is far too drunk to drive himself home. We're about to close and I will lose my job if he stays here any longer."