Chapter 9

Breakfast was awkward. More so for me than Levi, because I'm pretty sure he has no idea what happened last night.

And although it was innocent, I felt dirty. Especially because I had to get up at around two-thirty to do the walk of shame out of his room.

Which almost got me busted a few times, because I'm not a quiet person. And even when I assured him I wasn't usually this clumsy, I proved the opposite when I stubbed my toe against the bedside table and almost lost my footing.

Luckily for me, he slept like a baby last night so I was able to successfully make my escape without waking him.

The obstacles in my way didn't end there though. As I was tip-toeing back to my own room, Declan being the complete opposite of his father, woke up.

I yipped like a chihuahua when I realized the tiny tot was standing there. And God knows for how long. Slightly creeped out by his stealthiness, I simply put him back to bed and that was that.

Levi groaned, rubbing his forehead as he trudged into the kitchen, lazily dragging his feet behind him.

I frowned, glancing at the time on my phone screen. It's noon. Which means I could've slept in a little longer.

I can only be mad at myself for assuming that after the drunken night Levi had that he would still wake up at his usual three o'clock time.

"Why the hell is it so bright in here?"

There wasn't a single light on. The only source of light was coming from all the windows around the house's perimeter. Which just so happened to have a perfect view of the sun pouring in.

"Coffee?" I asked when he looked up at me with narrowed eyes.

He nodded, thanking me as he took a seat at the island. Handing him the cup of coffee I just made, he looks around the open room with confusion.

"Where's Declan?"

"Preschool," I answered, the dark brow on his handsome face climbing even higher, the more confused he became. "You know, the one you signed him up for a few weeks ago," I clarified, finding his confusion along with his bed hair adorable.

"Oh right," he said, the look on his face a clear sign that his memory had returned.

Silence lingered between us for a minute or two, before he asked me the one question I hoped wouldn't surface.

"Do you mind telling me what happened last night? I remember being at a bar having drinks with Everett. But I don't remember ever leaving. I didn't drive did I?" His brows knitted together, emphasizing the worry on his face.

I shook my head and he sighed with relief, his emerald green eyes waiting for me to fill in all the missing gaps of last night.

"You called me," I replied, having to swallow because my mouth had suddenly gone dry. "You were clearly drunk, so I picked you up and brought you home."

He cursed under his breath. "I'm sorry, Laurel. I promise I'm not an alcoholic or anything like that." He sighed heavily, combing his calloused hand through his hair. "Work has been stressful lately and I needed the distraction. I hope I didn't say or do anything crazy last night."

I choked on my words, my eyes focused on the hands that held me while we slept.

I wanted to lie, but something about him always had me confessing. If he asked, I'd probably confess to a murder I didn't, nor will ever have the strength to commit.

"We slept together," I eventually told him, staring down at my coffee with a blush.

"What?"

My cheeks burned, my face beet red as I flailed my arms and started stammering when I realized how my confession must have sounded to him.

"W-Wait! I didn't m-mean it like it that! It was totally innocent. W-We just slept in the same bed! Which wasn't my choice, of course. You asked me to and I couldn't say no so I-"

He started laughing, completely catching me off guard. I grabbed my coffee mug, clutching onto it tightly.

I looked down, unable to meet his eyes until he said with a nonchalant laugh, "I was wondering why my bed smelled like you."

My face was as red as my hair, my eyes wide and my lips slightly parted in shock. "E-Excuse me?"

He cleared his throat, further explaining what he meant. "Oh I didn't mean it in a bad way. I actually happen to find your scent rather enticing."

Enticing?

My teeth peirced my lower lip, drawing blood. Could this mean I wasn't crazy and I hadn't been misinterpreting the signs?

Ever since the day we first met I find myself feeling drawn to him. Does this mean the feelings are mutual?

"I don't mean to make you feel uncomfortable. And this may be the alcohol still in my system talking, but I've never smelled someone so damn delicious."

"T-Thank you," I stuttered, feeling like such a girl in his presence.

Another moment of silence filled the air before he spoke again. "I'm sorry. That shit was highly inappropriate of me." He jolted to his feet, leaving his barely drunken coffee on the counter and disappearing up the stairs before I could stop him.

****

Declan leaped into my arms upon spotting me in the doorway of his preschool to pick him up.

Holding him with one hand I said goodbye to the teacher and left to sign him out at the front desk.

The lady sitting behind the desk smiled, her attention on Declan who was still sporting a wide smile on his face. "Aww, someone's happy to see their mommy."

"Uh, I'm actually just his nanny."

The smile on her face faded. "Oh," she said awkwardly, looking everywhere but at me.

She wasn't the only one feeling awkward. Though I suppose I should be flattered that she would assume I'm his mother. Because at times, I wish I were his mother.

I mean it's only been a little over two months and I love him more than anything in the world.

I didn't say anything else, not wanting to further embarrass the poor woman.

After putting Declan in the backseat of my car, I put on some Disney music for him to listen to.

As I was pulling out into the road, my phone chimed. Waiting until I reached a stoplight to check my text messages, I looked to see that it was from the bartender I met last night.

Zack: I can't wait to see you tonight.

I smiled. I was in the midst of responding to his text when my phone chimed, signaling that I had received yet another message. Only this time it was from Levi.

Levi: We need to talk.

I stared at his message, hating those four little words. Whenever someone wants to talk it's never followed by any good news.

Levi doesn't get home from work until later, and I only have a couple hours remaining until my date with Zack. So that means Levi is going to have to wait until after I get back from my date for us to talk about whatever it is he wants to discuss.

Me: Sure! But it's going to have to wait until later on tonight.

Levi: Why? Are you going somewhere?

Me: Yes. If you don't mind me being absent for a few hours.

Levi: No, I don't mind.

Me: Great!

Returning to Zack's message, I shot him a quick text letting him know that I too was excited for our date tonight, before tossing my phone into the passenger's seat and heading back to Levi's house to get ready.