Chapter Ten: Ayato

//Some comments were once related to what was once previously written. Ignore if they do not apply//

Chapter Ten: Ayato

I felt deceived, lied to but even through those feelings, I was also happy. I continued to embrace Eye-patch, taking in his simple scent of coffee and sorrow. It contrasted greatly with Ayato's. His was bitter, and secretive. Yet both have a yearning of protectiveness.

"Oi brat. Come on, we're leaving." I heard Ayato yell from the other side of the subway. I hummed in response all though I doubt he even heard me. Pulling away from Eye-patch, I thanked him one last time before heading back to the rest of the Aogiri.

There I was told about Cochlea. Ayato handed me my mask and told me to put it on immediately. I was already dressed in my battle gear, which only consisted of a black leather jumpsuit (and I honestly feel bad-ass in it) and combat boots.

I kept close to Ayato, following him every step of the way. As much as I hate him sometimes, he made a good leader. I trusted him and that's more than I would ever give him.

Upon arriving at Cochlea, we all stood on the roof, waiting for further instructions. Ayato held me close, warning me that if I died he would personally bring me back to life only to kill me again. Putting on his red cloak, he turned away, following Jason's right hand who had already landed on the grounds of the prison.

"Ladies first," And suddenly I was pushed off the beam I stood on. Landing on my ass, I groaned and stood up. Shrugging my shoulders, I looked around and saw Eye-Patch nonchalantly walk towards a large set of stairs descending to the next floor. Curiously, I followed him.

Midway, I stopped catching a breathtaking scent. The sweetness came from a balcony and there I saw an injured woman. Examining her from afar, I noticed a familiar characteristic-

"Oi, Weeper! I need you!"

Pulled away from my distraction, I glanced at the owner of the voice and saw Ayato struggling to keep away oncoming doves. Annoyed, I helped. I was unused to fighting large quantities of people at the same time but it had to be done. The only down side of it all was that I finished dreary.

"You'll have to use your kagune eventually." Ayato advised.

"I know, I just don't. . . " I paused, not able to find the proper excuse or reason.

Ayato rolled his eyes and took guard of his section. "Well you need it to defend your ass and others." I saw him roll his eyes and mutter a disgusting term under his breath.

"I don't have time to listen to your bullshit." I said, walking off.

"You can't leave me!" I heard him yell but my independent ass ignored him. "Hey listen to me you twit!"

Everything was quiet, at least on my part. There was order, mostly everyone finished their assigned task and simply kept their guard up for any intruders. Walking a bit farther down the floor, I watched as Naki tried to strike the woman from earlier. It was all going well until another investigator penetrated his melee weapon in Naki's stomach. Ouch. I squinted my face, utterly disturbed by the scene.

I left shortly, incapable of watching the rest of future events.

Heading back to Ayato, I caught a whiff of iron and realized that this belonged to him. Hurriedly, I avoided targets and went directly to him. And all alone, on the ground of the prison floors, was Ayato. A wave of shock hit me. The image kept me in place but I managed to get to his side. I lifted his head up gently and rested it on my lap.

"Come on bastard. Wake up." I felt tears slip unconsciously. I couldn't help but think he was dead. He's just so bruised, it hurt seeing him in such a state. "Stop playing dead, please."

I know you can heal if you just try.

I felt guilty for leaving him. He just always seemed to brag about his strength. He made me feel small and useless saying that I still had a lot to learn.

Ignoring the reasons to let him die, I forced a smile and kissed his forehead gently.

"I promise I won't ever leave you again." I whispered.

"I want you to show them the difference between what they think you are and what you can be."  ~Ernest Gaines.

I saw Ayato's eyes slowly open. "B-brat." He muttered. I laughed and rubbed his temple with my thumb.

"Guess I am a brat." I said softly.

"You're a-an ass-h-hole." Ayato stuttered.

"I am an asshole and you're my arrogant idiot." I teased.

Ayato slightly smiled for the first time. "I-I am your idiot."

"Finally, something we both can agree on."

//Updated (2.23.2017) at 9:04AM//

//I'm not happy about the revision but it will do.//