Chapter Five: Escalation

It's been a few days since the moment with Kaneki occurred. Placing my finger against my mouth, I lean against the bed frame, smiling contently also letting out a small sigh. I could still taste his lips against mine. Vanilla and coffee, something enjoyable and sweet. The sensation still made my heart leap out of my chest. Sometimes I wish I could replay the innocence of that kiss all day. 

Clicking my pen unconsciously, I heard a groan and cocked my head to the sound. Asami was spread out like a starfish, book over her face as her feet were spread wide over the edge of her bed. She looked deformed which made me giggle. "What's wrong ginger?" 

"Oh I don't know. I'm having trouble with literature and here you are daydreaming about a bookworm who hasn't spoken to you since you guys freakin' kissed! Something I was told by Yuki who was 'walking' by when it happened." She threw the book that was draped over her face across the dorm room, pouting. "I'm your friend and you didn't even tell me. Bitchy Yuki told me. That blonde-"

"Look I'm sorry." I say, turning to face her. The grin on my face was still there, never faltering as I spoke to the ginger. "I was just so confused and I'm still not sure it evened happened or what it meant. We've only spoken for a few weeks, a month or two tops, and things escalated this quickly.

"Plus, Kaneki's been through a lot lately. I do not want to add dating life on his plate. Especially with a ghoul like me." Apparently Asami saw things in a different perspective. 

'A forbidden love story where a human and a ghoul fall in love and stay in each others arms through struggles and hardships. Through heaven and hell with a passion for each other that no one can extinguish.' 

"Cliche but it's something just waiting to be written." Asami said in a rather 'matter-of-fact' tone. She kept on picturing the name of her story, writing it down in her notebook of ideas. It was amusing seeing her go on about it. But at the same time it wasn't. Mixed emotions I guess. Maybe it was because I still had a soft spot for a certain someone in my heart.

Pushing the idea from my head, I let the smile fall and began to continue studying once again. Distractions were good. I'm glad I have one.

~*~

The following day seemed out-of-the-ordinary, and everything felt rushed. Stepping into the classroom a half hour early, I see Kaneki at my desk, tracing the wood surface with his finger. Walking in a bit further, I grunt and gain his attention. Snapping his head towards me, he smiles awkwardly and steps away from where I usually sit. 

"I wanted to talk to you." He softly says. The ebony haired male seemed odd and awfully suspicious. The way he touched his chin (which seems like a habit) or the shifting of weight on one leg than another. "It's about the other day, and the kiss."

Ah, that's why he was acting so strange. 

"Yeah, what about it?" I try to keep cool and collected. It was nerve-wrecking talking about a picture perfect moment with someone who just saw it as a. . .moment. I sincerely did not want him to ruin it with thinking and his own thoughts on it. 

"Well, we've haven't spoken since and," He pauses, eyes drifting away looking a bit lost. "Was it too much? This might sound very desperate but I do like you and the way you're avoiding me in the halls. . .stings." Now his grey eyes wonder up my figure then settles by gazing into my (e/c) colored hues. 

"I haven't been avoiding you if that's what you actually think. Just busy with studying and schoolwork." It sounds like an excuse, like I've thought about it and said it so easily as if I practiced these lines a bunch of times. That wasn't the case though. "We can go to Anteiku after my last college class which is at 15:45." I suggest, smiling at him so he gets the message that this wasn't supposed to be awkward.