Chapter Nine: White Promise

~Time Skip~

It was strange.

The feeling of pure emptiness. I was missing something, I knew I was but I just couldn't figure out what was exactly gone. 

Leaning against the concrete beam, I watched in awe as eye-patch, whatever his name is, spelled out Yamori's name. He was intelligent, I admire that. It was simple for him, writing out the name of the man he sadistically slaughtered. I was caught on him, his white hair draping over his pale eyes. 

Feeling an unwanted arm around my waist, I was pulled away from the scene of guilt. I turned to face Ayato. I was placed under his wing and ever since, he's been filling my head with things I wouldn't have wanted to know. I was apparently his, but in my gut, it just didn't feel right. 

"Please don't," I look up Ayato, sincerely telling him to stop his actions. "It's wrong, I'm your trainee, nothing else. So I tell you again, stop." I moved away from Ayato, "Foolishness like that is just unacceptable." And then I left to wander around the subway to escape the tension that has always been between us since I first woke up. 

Leaving the group, I walk far to a flight of stairs, abandoned in the old train station. On the steps, I see eye-patch sitting, looking at his hands blankly. I strolled over to him, crouching in front of him and I smile gently, gaining his attention. 

Quietly, I begin to talk to him. 

"Ayato, calls you eye-patch." Obviously, what a way to start a conversation!  "But someone always has a name, right? Would you mind telling me?" 

Eye-patch simply stared. His eyes were red, lips bent in frown. Upon seeing his true facial appearance, I felt a pang in my heart. I wanted to so badly reach out and rub the oncoming tear that slipped down his cheek. He seemed so familiar. 

His eyes, God his eyes. . . just let me sit here and try to remember. I feel it, you were there, weren't you? 

He looked away, and then continued to place his vision on his hands. He shifted, wanting to stand up but before he could, I stopped him. 

"I know I'm an empty shell. I know that I woke up forgetting almost everything and everyone but can you comprehend the familiarity when you see someone you had known?"

"No,"

"I admire you, and I get this notion that you were important."

There was a pause. It lasted longer than I expected.  

"I-I have to go." He stood up and I did too, blocking him off from running away from me. 

"If someone vanished, how would you feel?" It was a sudden question, one that popped into mind only then and there. 

"What?" 

I let out a deep breath and repeated, "If someone vanished or you just magically forgot this person, how would you feel?" 

He stood there, thinking. A pained expression crossed his face but he answered nonetheless. "Dismal," He said. "I would feel dismal." 

"And if I said that that's how I feel right now, could you possibly understand me now? If I told you a name, could you try to find this person for me?"  

He reluctantly nodded. 

"Promise?"

". . .Promise. . ." 

"Kaneki Ken. I heard Ayato say this name and it sounded so familiar. I think that if I find this person, they can help me regain the things that I lost. So please, if you know anything, help me." 

Eye-patch had frozen up. He stood there, still as a board. He glanced at me, and faintly said 'yes'. Instinctively, I embraced him. For once, I let out a sigh of relief. "Thank you," I said under my breath. "Thank you for guiding me through the dark." 

//Updated (2.21.2017) 12:40 PM//

//Not read over//