Chapter 36: Family

-Konohagakure-

One week after the events in the Konoha Council Chambers, a certain Blonde haired Senju was sitting atop the Hokage Monument on the Yondaime Hokage's head, looking down at the village.

This had become a common occurrence for Naruto ever since the incident with the Akatsuki.

He had come to this spot at the beginning and end of every day so that he could be alone for a while and think on past events, specifically the Council's recent move to enact the Clan Restoration Act, placing both Sasuke and him under it.

And if that wasn't enough, he also had to deal with his recent "engagement" with Gaara's sister, Temari of Suna.

He had only agreed to the arrangement to ensure peace for Konoha and prevent another war from breaking out, resulting in more lives being lost.

"Huuhhh, what would you do in my place dad?" Naruto sighed, as he glanced down at the carving at his father's on the cliff side.

Sitting atop of his father's image was his favourite spot on the monument, since in a way it made him feel connected to his father, despite never knowing him.

He had of course heard plenty of stories about him from Jiraiya, his mother, Kushina and a few from Kakashi. But still the young boy yearned for more, wishing he could speak to him and getting his advice on things.

Sighing again, Naruto looked down at the village that his family founded, "How can I expect to become Hokage and protect this village, when I can't even protect myself?"

At the same time Naruto heard the whining of a small animal, and felt something rub against his leg.

Looking down, Naruto saw Kurimaru rubbing against his leg, and staring up with his with a sad face.

Seeing the small pup, Naruto smiled down sadly and began to gently scratch his right ear, knowing that the small dog had realized that something was bothering him and was trying it's best to comfort him.

"Thanks boy, but I'll be alright" But Kurimaru didn't believe him and continued to try and comfort him.

Turning his attention away from the pup, Naruto stared back at the village below and thought back to what happened with Itachi in the Genjutsu. Even now the memories of the event were still fresh, and he would still have flashbacks of what happened in the illusion when slept.

"Damnit, what's wrong with me?!" Naruto said to himself before noticing his right hand was shaking when he thought back to Itachi. "Why do I keep shaking at the mere thought of him, why can't I move on?"

Even though his body had recovered from his battle with the two Akatsuki members, Naruto's mental state had not, specifically his confidence. Every time he took his sword or Kunai in hand, he felt his hand shake and whenever he sparred with Yamato or his mother, he found himself hesitating and doubting himself, something that he had never done before.

This became ever more evident in a training session with team eight, where he sparred off with Shino.

During the match, an image of Itachi staring coldly at him, replaced Shino for a brief moment, causing the young blonde to freeze in fear. This then allowed the young Aburame to capture him in one of his bug Jutsu, allowing him to win the match.

And if that wasn't enough, Naruto had nightmares of his time in Itachi's Genjutsu, watching his family being killed off one by one in different manner, unable to do anything to stop it.

Even though Naruto knew that it had only being an illusion, and that his mother and others were fine, the images still haunted him, as it had felt so real. He had never felt so helpless in his entire life and it worried him, since what if next time it wasn't illusion.