20 || gone

Raise a glass to freedomSomething they can never take awayNo matter what they tell you-The Story of Tonight, Hamilton

Something they can never take away
No matter what they tell you
-The Story of Tonight, Hamilton

Raise a glass to freedomSomething they can never take awayNo matter what they tell you-The Story of Tonight, Hamilton

August 5th 2008
Stark Industries, Malibu

After dragging me out of the house, Obadiah forces me into the trunk of the car and slams it shut, leaving me in complete darkness. Helplessly, I lie there paralyzed, as I feel the car begin to move and hear the crunch of gravel beneath the tires.

Slowly, my movement begins to come back: first the twitch of a finger, then the slight craning of my neck, and soon my entire body can move. My mind races with what you're supposed to do in a situation like this though nothing helpful comes to mind until I remember a conversation I had with Nat a couple of months ago.

Kick the tail lamps.

So, I lift up my knee and slam my foot into the light: once, twice, three times.

On the fourth hit, it shatters, sending my foot flying through, though I quickly pull it back into the car. Then, I just lie there, utterly useless, not knowing what I'm supposed to do next. Suddenly, the brakes slam on and the car comes to an abrupt halt, then I hear the doors at the front of the car open.

I don't know where I am; the only place I can think of Obadiah taking me is his house. If we are at his house, I need to jump out of the car and run behind me, toward the exit. So, as the boot starts to crank open, I ready myself. The second it's open, I leap out and take off running, though, unexpectedly, I'm met with a face full of brick wall. Turning around, I see him pacing toward me, cornering me by the wall.

"Oh, Aurelia, I really wish you'd have just made this easy on yourself.", he sighs, before raising the suitcase and smacking me around the head with it.

Next thing I know, I'm chained down to a table in some dingy lab, with a throbbing head. A terrible, eery silence hangs in the air and I scream hoarsely, "Help! Somebody help me!"

"Nobody can hear you.", Obadiah tells me in a sing-song tone.

"What are you doing, Obadiah? Why are you doing this?"