12 || he's back

There's no need to explainI know that we can relateCan we get up and try to feel ok again?Ok-Ok, Wallows

I know that we can relate
Can we get up and try to feel ok again?
Ok
-Ok, Wallows

There's no need to explainI know that we can relateCan we get up and try to feel ok again?Ok-Ok, Wallows

July 17th 2008
Malibu, California

The door to the plane opens, almost in slow motion to me. Two figures can be seen, one helps the other out of a wheelchair. Rhodey and Dad. They both walk down the ramp; Dad looks around. His face remains emotionless until his eyes settle on me.

As much as I want to sprint over to him and yell and shout, my feet stay planted right where they are and silent tears roll down my fair cheeks. A small, almost unseen smile comes over his face as he makes his way toward me, my gaze fixed on him and his on me. I suppose we're both just terrified that looking away will make the other disappear again. We're terrified it'll make this a dream. When he's mere feet away from me, I can't stop myself; I toss myself into his arms before I burst out sobbing and wrap my arms around him. I nestle my head into his shoulder and he ruffles my hair.

"I missed you. So much.", I sob, not caring about the tears that roll down my cheeks.

He holds me tighter, "Oh, god, munchkin.", he whispers.

"Please, never go anywhere again.", I say.

"Don't worry, Lia. I'm back. I'm not going anywhere. I promise.", he murmurs, pressing his face into my hair.

"I know. I know.", I reluctantly pull away and he wraps an arm around my shoulder.

We walk towards Pepper, who can't help but smile, "Your eyes are red. Few tears for your long-lost boss?", he teases.

"Tears of joy. I hate job-hunting."

"Yeah, vacation's over.", he walks over to the car.

Me and Pepper both give each other a look, then follow him into the car. The three of us sit in the back, me in between Dad and Pepper.

"Where to, sir?", Happy asks.

"Take us to the hospital please, Happy.", Pepper says.

"No.", says Dad.