19 || ice-cold veins

You betrayed meAnd I know that you'll never feel sorryFor the way I hurt, yeah-traitor, Olivia Rodrigo

You betrayed me
And I know that you'll never feel sorry
For the way I hurt, yeah
-traitor, Olivia Rodrigo

You betrayed meAnd I know that you'll never feel sorryFor the way I hurt, yeah-traitor, Olivia Rodrigo

August 5th, 2008
Stark Mansion, Malibu

Dad's band t-shirt hangs baggy around my shoulders, far too big for my slim frame. The soft, worn black fabric seems to almost drown me, as it stretches down to my mid-thighs. The waistline of my equally black joggers sits just below my belly-button, though the oversized shirt covers them.

Slowly, I make my way down the stairs and toward the kitchen, where I scan the bare fridge before slamming it closed again. Then, I wander into the living room and flop down in an armchair, gazing out at the turquoise ocean.

"Aurelia.", an all too familiar voice booms cheerily behind me.

A shiver runs up my body at the sound and I tense, not daring to turn around- I don't need to. I know that voice.

Obadiah.

"Da-", I start to scream but his ice-cold hand clamps over my mouth.

"Shh, sh, sh.", a high-pitched sound drills into my ears and a cold sensation creeps along my neck and face. "Such a pretty face with such a big mouth.", he paces to stand in front of me and I try to run but my muscles fail. His rough finger scrapes along my cheek and he leans toward me, "Now, I believe we have some unfinished business from the gala."

As my heartrate begins to increase rapidly, we both hear the door to Dad's garage whoosh open. Obadiah's gaze meets my terrified one and he retreats into the shadows of the room, as a phone on the sofa begins to ring and Dad's footsteps sound coming up the stairs.

"Hey, kid, you gonna get that?", he asks from behind me, though I can't move my neck to see him. "No? Okay.", he scoffs, going to grab it himself. Only as he answers the call does he see my paralyzed state, though by then, Obadiah is already emerging behind him.

"Breathe. Easy, easy.", he murmurs as he lowers my father down onto the sofa. Dad's face  grows ghostly pale and ice-blue lines work their way along his pasty skin, "You remember this one, right? It's a shame the government didn't approve it. There's so many applications for causing short-term paralysis.", he lets out a breathy laugh, "Funny, isn't it? All you'd ever speak about was how these weapons were going to create a safer world for Aurelia. Yet tonight, she'll die at the hands of your creations.", he strolls around the front of the sofa, towering over Dad, "Tony. When I ordered the hit on you, I worried that I was killing the golden goose. But, you see, it was just fate that you survived that.", he uses some complex tool to remove Dad's reactor, "You had one last golden egg to give. Do you really think that just because you have an idea, it belongs to you? Your father, he helped give us the atomic bomb. Now, what kind of world would it be today if he was as selfish as you? Oh, it's beautiful. Tony, this is your Ninth Symphony. What a masterpiece. Look at that. You really do put so much beauty into each of your creations.", he strolls over to me and brushes his knuckles against my cheek, "I remember seeing Aurelia when she was six and thinking that nothing could ever be quite as beautiful but... this...", he passes the reactor from hand to hand, "This is your legacy. Aurelia was always just a pretty face- a means to an end. This will spark a new generation of weapons with this at its heart. Weapons that will help steer the world back on course, put the balance of power in our hands. The right hands. I wish you could've seen my prototype. It's not as... Well, not as conservative as yours. Too bad you had to involve Pepper in this. I would have preferred that she lived.", he picks up my limp body and slings me over his shoulder. I manage to let out something between a scream and a hum, "That's right, Aurelia, say goodbye to daddy. Don't worry, Tony, when I kill her, I'll make sure it hurts."

A message from the author:I'm sorry it's short and late but there probably won't be a chapter next week as I'll be in France

I'm sorry it's short and late but there probably won't be a chapter next week as I'll be in France. I'll make sure to give you extra chapters the week after! Anyways, hope you all had a good week! Remember to vote and comment! See you all next chapter! (;

- Hannah xoxo

Word count: 802

Date published: April 4th 2022