35 || the big apple

In New YorkConcrete jungle where dreams are made ofThere's nothin' you can't doNow you're in New YorkThese streets will make you feel brand newBig lights will inspire you-Empire State Of Mind, Jay-Z and Alicia Keys

In New York
Concrete jungle where dreams are made of
There's nothin' you can't do
Now you're in New York
These streets will make you feel brand new
Big lights will inspire you
-Empire State Of Mind, Jay-Z and Alicia Keys

In New YorkConcrete jungle where dreams are made ofThere's nothin' you can't doNow you're in New YorkThese streets will make you feel brand newBig lights will inspire you-Empire State Of Mind, Jay-Z and Alicia Keys

31st May 2010
Upper East Side, New York City

Stretching out on the couch, I just stare at the roof. Living on my own. This is weird. I've only been at it for... I glance at the clock: 11:48. I've been living on my own for twenty-six minutes.

Thank god we already had an apartment in New York, which means I didn't really have to unpack anything aside from clothes. I told Pep and Nat that I'd meet them at the Expo; as much as I'd hate sitting through anything featuring Justin Hammer, I'd hate spending my first day in New York completely alone even more.

I run my hands through my hair and look around. Completely empty. It's peaceful. Odd, but peaceful. My phone starts to ring on the coffee table; Fury.

"Stark, I hope you're enjoying your transfer.", he says, as I pick up, "Your mission will be in New York tomorrow."

"Are you going to give me any more information than that?", I ask, getting off the sofa.

"Classified. Tomorrow morning, eight AM, S.H.I.E.L.D HQ.", he tells me, then hangs up.

"Well, he doesn't beat around the bush.", I mutter to myself.

The elevator opens and I jump out of my skin; somebody's here to murder me. Scratch that. It's just Nat.

"Hey!", she smiles.

"Um... Hi. How did you...", I signal to the now closing elevator doors.

"Because I'm Natasha Romanoff."

"Fair enough."

"Expo starts soon, Pepper sent me to come and get you. She's just waiting in the car.", she tells me.

"Well, feel free to knock next time."

As I say that, there's a smashing behind us and I quickly whip around, to see Clint sucking in a sharp breath, as he clambers through the window. On the carpet beneath him, there's a smashed vase and flowers splayed out.

"Oopsies. I'm guessing that was expensive.", he cringes.

"Yeah, probably.", Nat agrees.

He hops down onto the floor and casually strolls inside, "Well, sorry about that."

"Just putting this out there, for both of you.", I glare between them, "If you knocked, or rung the bell, or called, or anything, I would have just let you in."

"Sorry, I'm just too much of a spy for doorbells.", Clint shrugs.

I roll my eyes and walk over to the window, shutting and locking it, "I hope none of your little super-spy friends are following."

"I hope not.", he says, peering out the window, "Why did you have to choose a penthouse? It was really difficult to get in."

"We didn't buy it with the intention of it being easy to break into. Why are you even here?", I cross my arms over my chest and raise an eyebrow.

"Oh, yeah. Well, I was on a mission in New York, but there was an emergency in New Mexico, so I just came to say goodbye before I left.", he explains, walking over to the sofa and flopping down.

"I didn't even know you were in New York, but whatever.", I sit down opposite him.

Nat takes a seat next to me, "What's your assignment?"

"Ooh- Classified.", he says, "Nah, I'm kidding. Basically, there's a hammer in the ground and nobody can move it."

"Right...", Natasha and I both say in unison.

"I don't know! Ask Fury about it."

"So, if they can't move it, why are they bringing you in? What, they think you're so strong you can lift it?", I scoff, and Nat lets out a snort.

"Hey! I might be strong enough!", he exclaims.

"Yeah, you keep telling yourself that.", Nat mocks.

"Right. You two are being mean. I'm leaving.", he huffs, standing up again.

"I, Clint Barton, am the only one who can wield this hammer!", I tease.

He strops off to the window again and starts to climb out, which only makes me and Nat laugh more. By the time he's out the window and disappearing into New York, we're in stitches. Suddenly, the elevator doors open again.

"You're back again? What? Could you not pick up the hammer?", I yell.

"Don't be mean, Aria. Sometimes he can't get it up.", Nat laughs.

"I see you two are getting along.", Pepper says, walking in.

We immediately stop laughing and sit up straight, "Oh, Pep. Hi.", I stand up and spin around so I'm facing her, "I thought you were waiting in the car."

"I was, but Natalie was taking a while, so I came to see what she was up to.", Pepper explains, "You ready to go?"

"Yeah, yeah.", I pick up my purse, "Give me a 'whoop whoop' if you're excited for Justin Hammer's presentation!"

Dead silence.

A message from the author:Fun fact: this chapter is set on my 3rd birthday

Fun fact: this chapter is set on my 3rd birthday. Fun fact 2: It's 3 days to my birthday now. Anyways, hope you all had a good week! Remember to vote and comment! See you all next chapter! (;

- Hannah xoxo

Word count: 878

Date published: May 28th, 2022