F I V E

When Ryder and the team finished their one early mission to save two children who were stuck on a crevice near their campsite; surely their camp leader wasn't paying much attention to the kids. He wondered even why would a bunch of kids go to a crevice, knowing that it's dangerous to get stuck inside. He sighed as he placed his backpack inside the PAW Patroller. He was going to pick up some supplies for their vehicles up north and will be back at the end of the day. He had Chase in charge of the lookout while he's away and had Em to pup-sit them; for extra precautions. He could bring them with him but, he doesn't want to bore them out so he let them stay home.

"Thanks for deciding to look after them while I'm away for the second time this week..." He chuckled. Em shook their head. "It's alright, I love watching over them~" they said as they picked Rubble up and gently hugging him. "They're so cute and adorable~!" The English bulldog barked cutely, making Ryder laugh. "okay~ call me if something goes wrong and I'll come home as fast as I can..." Em nods their head and smiles.

Once Ryder and Robo-Dog left with the PAW Patroller, Em watches the pups play happily on the yard and decided to join them. They were playing frisbee and Em volunteered to toss the toy for the pups to catch. "Ready, Chase?" They asked the German Shepherd and Chase barked happily. "Ready, Em~!" Em threw the frisbee as Chase barked happily, trying to catch the toy from the air. Chase jumped high up the air then caughted the frisbee with his teeth. "I caught it!" He says, his voice muffled by the toy still on his mouth. Em giggles as they continued their game.

Each pup got their turn with the frisbee, and it was Marshall's turn. Em threw the frisbee high up and Marshall clumsily runs as he tries to catch it. "I got it! I got it!" Without knowing, there was a cliff and Marshall is running towards it. Em gasped. "Marshall! Look out!" The dalmatian tries to stop himself but, got tripped on a rock and fell down a cliff, screaming. All of them gasped and rushed to the cliff to find Marshall. They all gathered around. "Where is he?" Skye asked as the other pups whimpered. Chase heard something.

A jet engine.

A familiar looking jet slowly rises up from their view and out came the Duke of Flappington, with Marshall in his arms. He smiles. "Hello~! I caught your little friend~! Wouldn't want Ryder to worry about it. I'm sure he'd be upset..." He says as Jean Claude lands their jet carefully. The duke got off the ship and handed Marshall to Em. "Thank you...? Your Highness..." The duke nods his head and the pups looked at him with suspicion. "What are you doing here again? Ryder isn't here..." Chase spoke. "Oh. He isn't? Where's your little leader then?" He asks. Rocky spoke up. "he went to grab some tools, supplies and materials for our vehicles. He said he'll be back at the end of the day." They don't why the duke is here, again, for the second time this week. And they bet he's up to no good. You can't trust villians that easily when you encounter Mayor Humdinger every other day, causing mayhem all around town.

The duke huffed. "I can't wait that long... I'll get quite impatient by then!" He whined. "why are you here in the first place?" Em asked. "I had... Something with Ryder and he'd rather hear it from me..." He says, blushing brightly. 'is this guy really having a crush on Ryder? I mean, not gonna lie... He is good looking and has a great personality but, I'd never think he'd like a guy before...' Em thought. "How about, instead of whining and waiting for 'mr. Nice guy', how about you join us in the Pup Park to play? I'm pup-sitting his cuties today." They said to the duke, trying to lure him. The duke thought about it for a moment and agreed. "Alright... But, it better not be boring or else I'm leaving!" All of them giggled as they headed out to the park.

"Tell me really... Why did you go here in the first place? You can't just visit Adventure Bay for two times this week... It's unusual." Em questioned the duke quietly as they played tug-of-war with the pups; Marshall, Chase, Zuma and Rocky on one side, Skye, Rubble, the duke and Em on the other. The duke can't really tell what he felt for Ryder. He'll get laughed at. Or worse. He tries to stop himself from telling but, Em will just bug him into telling. "Um... I have a crush on their leader..." He quietly told Em behind him and Skye gasped, making her drop her part of the toy. "You have a crush on Ryder?!?!" Skye yipped and all of the pups looked at the duke with shock.

"What?!?!"

The duke blushed even more and he chews his lips as the pups bombarded him with questions that will leave speechless.

"What do like about him?!"

"Why did you fall in love with him?!"

"Does Ryder know?!"

"You two look so cute together and I can tell!!!"

"Will there be food at the wedding?"

"Marshall!!!"

The duke looked at the pup who asked him with question, blushing deeply and all of them looked at him with utter disbelief but, laughed it off. They all sat down and the duke began to answer all of their question slowly and they pups slowly began to calm down and at ease with the duke. He was just neglected and misunderstood when he was younger. He never had anyone look at him differently; apart from his mother and sister of course. "What about Jean Claude?" Skye worriedly asked. The duke chuckled as his pet eagle perched on his arm. "He's a gentle lad once you get to know him~" he says as he gently scratched Jean Claude's feathers, making the eagle purr in delight. They all giggled as they continued playing.

As the sun was about to set. Ryder and Robo-Dog approached them and the boy giggled as the pups tackled him down and licked his face as a sign that they missed him while he was away. He thanked Em for taking care of them and they nod their head. Ryder looked at the duke with confusion. "Why are you here?" He asks. The duke sighed. "I wanted to hang out with you... Not planning anything bad... Just a little company..." Ryder's face softened.

The two boys laughed as they ate their snacks and watched the sunset while the pups play tag on the park. They haven't left. They all agreed to stay in the park to enjoy the 'golden hour' before they all head back to the lookout. Ryder laughed at the duke's jokes and held his stomach in pain due to laughing too hard. Once he calmed down, he looked at the duke with confusion. "y'know... I never caught your actual name..." Ryder uttered as they ate their snacks. "I just kept calling you 'Duke' and to be honest, I don't mind..." the duke hummed. "It's kind of boring but, my actual name is 'Arnold Darius Vladimir the 3rd'... you can call me 'Darius' for short." He says. "My name has a meaning; a strong meaning as my mum would always say. I never liked it, so I decided to keep my real name hidden..."

Ryder held back a laugh.

"What?" Darius asked. "Is there something on my face?" Ryder shook his head. "your name is actually better than calling you 'your highness' all day~" he giggled. Making Darius playfully push him to the side. "you're an idiot..."

"my idiot..."

"What was that?"

"Nothing..."