chapter 14 short case

The man in white had come unannounced and stood at the door for a while before knocking. Sebastian was busy preventing Baldroy from blowing up the kitchen with dynamite...again... so I answered it.

"Ah you must be the new maid the queen told me about," he said then grabbed my hand and kissed it. Very improper for a man with such a high class to be doing.

"Yes I am, my name is Bella Nightly at your service sir. Please come inside," I said he had a kind look to his face but had a foul act as if he didn't care about anything.

"Ash Landers my lady," he said and did a slight bow. Well then a high class servant bowing to someone like me. There's something odd about him.

"Is Ciel Phantomhive here? The queen has some business requesting the earl Phantomhive," he said. He was expecting a surprised face from me but after receiving no change in expression he fell silent. Sebastian walked in with a stick of dynamite in a gloved hand.

"Ah Mr.Landers I see the queen needs me for another crime," a voice that any one would recognize was Ciel.

"Yes it seems that people have been going missing after trying to leave London. What's disturbing is... well I suppose we should discuss this in secret," he said then looked back at me, knowing fully well that Ciel would tell Sebastian everything.

"No I trust her. She is one of my best servants other than Sebastian," the young master told the... strangely angelic... Ash.

He glared at me and I knew I didn't like him so I glared back.

He ended up following the young master to his study where we stood behind him almost protectively. Ash began to tell us about the 'murders'. Ash was abnormally still as if trying not to fidget or stutter.

"Well Earl Phantomhive, there has been a mystery about these murders going on. They have been happening for the past few days and we have decided that it is time you stepped into the picture," he paused for a moment and looked at me.

"Mr.Landers what are you staring at?" Ciel questioned.

"Nothing young Earl, shall I continue?"

"Obviously, do you think I wouldn't want to hear about something the queen needs me to do?" Ash nodded his head and continued.

"These murders have as I said happening for a few weeks, and they have all, strangely happened down by the docks of London. The main dock has had thirteen people either be pushed or have their wrists cut before they were pushed, not to ment-," Ash needed to stop talking. He's giving me a headache.

"It sounds like their not murders, but suicides. Did the victims have any other marks on them? Perhaps from burns or blades?" I had cut him off and asked him this he sat there for a moment trying to remember.

"Well actually yes, there were countless scars on the legs and wrists of all of the bodies," this was quite helpful I think this case must already be solved.

"Well this could mean they were suffering from depression. The mental sickness depression actually changes the natural chemicals in your brain. So while we have grown up thinking 'suicide is not okay' we begin thinking 'its the only way to end the pain'," I said. Everyone stared for a moment and Sebastian spoke. Finally.

"The reason miss Bella knows so much is she spent a few years studying the human body and brain," he explained to Ash. An awkward silence fell on us like a blanket in till Ciel opened his mouth.

"Well it seems that case is already solved, I will have mental institutions built in about a week. Oh and make sure the queen has guards posted at all of the docks to prevent any further suicides," he said and Ash stood up. "Bella please show our guest out," the young master said.

"Yes my lord," I did a small bow and left from behind him to see to our 'guest'. I walked in front of him and led him out to the door.

I opened the door but heard the sound of Ash's sword sliding from its sheath. I quickly turned and kicked his hand, making the golden blade stab the ceiling. The had grown his wings in an instant and so did I. If I'm going to kill him, why not use my wings?

My wings were glittering blue and silver against the raven black feathers. His were plain white, but almost seemed to glow. I flew up to grab his sword but Ash grabbed my ankle and yanked me down as hard as he could. My back smashed the floor and I heard a hair rising crack from my back.

It was broken in two different places, as far as I could feel.

Sebastian came running from the hall followed by Ciel. It took him a minute to realize what had happened. As Sebastian came running down the stairs, Ash had held up his sword, and the last thing I saw was the blinding white of Ash's coat and the metallic taste of blood.