folklore

** 23 june **

-taylors pov-

We have been in Nashville' for a while now and I feel like I'm settling fine here. In a couple of days, I will go into my 24th week of pregnancy, which is exiting and nerve-wracking at the same time, its only sixteen more weeks to go now. But today I have something else to prepare for, tomorrow I'm releasing folklore at midnight!

We only told my label about the album a week ago when it was already done, and I was really worried to tell them. I figured that they would be hard to convince because there wasn't a big single and releasing music right now is risky. But the label head said "whatever you want to do Taylor we are in" which was a relief. Ever since. I signed with them fall 2018 they have been wonderful to me. They seem to really care about what I want to do and my desire to own my own music. They've never demanded that I let them own my masters, they were understanding of that from day one and it wasn't even a fight I had to have. They've supported me in everything I've done since then and that's refreshing. All they say when I come with them with an idea is that they trust me, which is nice since I have been doing this for years. At this point I do feel like I know what I'm doing and what my fans will like.

Joe and I wrote two songs together for this album, betty and the second one is called exile that we wrote in the beginning of May.

** flashback **

I've been in the kitchen baking all morning when I hear the piano being played and for a moment, I think he is playing betty, but this time it's something different. This tune is new, I haven't heard this before. So, I carefully walk over to the music room and stand in the doorway carefully to not make a sound.

"I can see you standing, honey
With his arms around your body
Laughin', but the joke's not funny at all
And it took you five whole minutes
To pack us up and leave me with it
Holdin' all this love out here in the hall"

The words sound so beautiful so I can't help but walk over to him and sit down beside him "hey you" I say and nudge him with my shoulder. "You heard that didn't you?." he says and blush.

"yes, and I really loved it. What is it about?" I ask curiously.

"it's about a gut-wrenching breakup, I think. But some of it is about that night at the met when I saw you with tom's arm around you. How I could tell that the smiles you had where fake, how the laughter was forced. But the rest of it is fictional, I just started with that sentence. I guess it's about a relationship that just fell apart or something, I don't really know Taylor, I'm just fooling around" he says hesitantly.

"I think it's beautiful.. Would you... would you maybe write it with me? You don't have to if you don't want to, but I would love to finish this with you" I say and smile at him. He nods "sure, let's do it"

We continue to play and dream up lyrics together and the story is starting to have a cohesive story about these two people that where in love but then miscommunication came in the way and broke them up. "I think it sounds really good in your tenor voice... maybe it should be a duet?" I think out loud and then I get an idea. "You know... Aaron is good friends with Justin Vernon... maybe.... maybe I could ask if he would be interested because that would be amazing" I say and bite my lip as I look at him.

He has this big smile on his face "that would be fucking incredible. Just imagine bon Iver singing on a song we wrote together"

** end of flashback **

I was nervous when I brought the topic of having it be a duet to Aaron, but he immediately thought of Justin and how he would probably really like it and be inspired. I couldn't get the words out and suggest it myself, but he did, and Justin was all for it. And he wrote this beautiful bridge that just sent me into the universe with no chance of returning.