Chapter 5: Facing The Smiths

"Mum, this pressure is too much for me. Why so much pressure on this issue of childbearing? You're making life difficult for me. I can't eat, I can't sleep, I can't think!" I fired at her. It's been three days now since she visited. But I realized that this wasn't just a visit. She came to stay with Damon and I to watch on us. Especially me.

"Adelaide, are you talking to me, or rather, are you directing your speech at me?"

I rolled my eyes at her in disgust.

"Oh, you rolled your eyes at me, right? Nice one. Do you realize who you're talking to?"

"Sorry, mother-in-law."

"Why are you apologizing for something you did on purpose?"

"The pressure is getting too much because I want a grandchild?"

"Now I know you're nothing but a slut! Where were you when I was raising my son? My golden son! The only son in the world, my handsome son. You lunatic! I know you're an empty barrel, making noise. It's now six years since you've married my son and you don't have a child. You haven't even gotten pregnant yet. You have the audacity to blab your mouth in front of me? I know that you're not from a humble home. Damon already told me everything. Your dad was a hit and run. Your mum was pregnant at 16 and died after your birth. Your grandma, too, died because all your family members are ill-fated! Don't spread your curse to my family, Ally! Now, I'm being reasonable and patient for the past six years! All I want is a grandchild!" She said scornfully.

"Spare me out of this cock and bull story, Mrs. Smith! You can insult me all you want but please, don't call my family names! I never knew much about them but from the little I know, none of them were this cruel! I've respected you enough and I'm tired of tolerating any more of your insults! Don't you think you should take your son to the hospital for a checkup? This problem is not mine alone!"

"I already know your problem! I would bring a new wife into this house, but I want you out! Pack your luggage and leave our lives! If you don't, I'd get them another house, and you'd hear from Damon only from social media! You would be the other woman. All I want is for you to have a child else. I'd bring in a blessed woman who would give me children and not you who is barren!"

"Really? As if having children was that easy for you, you only had one! Is Damon not your only child?" I spat at her with disrespect.

Her jaw dropped to my words. "OMG! I see we have given you a lot of freedom in this house. At least, I had a child. Where's yours?"

"Enough, Mrs Smith! I've had enough from you!" I clamoured.

Just then, the door flung open. Our gaze turned backwards and  Damon entered from work.

"What the fuc-" he dropped his briefcase on the table. “How dare you, Ally! You raised your voice at my mother?

"You should ask your mu-"

'Twaaannnggg!'

Damon gave me a hot slap before I could even complete the sentence. "Are you out of your mind? How dare you?"

My ears vibrated from the sound of the slap. I couldn't believe Damon would ever raise his hand on me. It was the first time.

Raising my head at him, I grabbed my hair that covered my face like a veil.
"Damon... You slapped me?"

"Yes! I did!" He barked at me in reply.

"And he would do it again! He will slap you again if you mess up! Because you're a useless girl! Infertile and a time waster!" Mrs. Smith added. "You're a witch! Pack your charms and leave our lives if you can't get pregnant! You're now calling me names simply because I advised you to get a child and you're saying didn't I born only one? Where is yours? You will leave this house for me!" I looked at Damon and what I saw was the rate of anger boiling in his eyes. He looked so disappointed, I felt so little in front of him.

"Damon is my son, and I loved and cared for him before you even hit puberty or had any idea what love is! We should lock you up for wasting our time and charming my son to your biding! Now, your spellbinders are destroyed! Your time with my son is ove-" I pushed her away and walked into the room to pack my stuff.

I've had enough with the both of them. There's no point convincing anyone.

"It shall not be well with you, you ingrate!" She yelled at me as I left.

"Are you alright, Mum? Hope she didn't beat you?" Damon asked his mum in concern.

"How dare she? When she doesn't want to die!" She replied him, still pissed. “All I need is a call away. She would have been in prison if not for you."

"Sorry, mum. It's all my fault. Come here." He held her in a hug, trying to calm her down.

I just went into the room to cry. Not wanting to leave. I endured enough humiliation. How much more would I have to endure? How much more do I have with Damon?

Throughout that day, Damon avoided me. He said nothing and gave no reply when I even begged. Now, I'm 28, finding another guy would be difficult. I didn't want to get divorced, either. After a long thought. I took a stroll out to buy some provision and groceries, knowing fully well that Damon loves my food. I went to withdraw from my account before going. Unlike when we were on good terms, I'd ask him anything, but not right now.

When I got home that night, I served dinner for Damon and his mom. When I sat behind my husband, I noticed his long face and the silence on the table was saddening. I paused for a while. About to hold his hand, he jerked off abruptly.

"I've got something to tell you." I leaned to him quietly, observing the hurt in his eyes.

"I'm so sorry for speaking bad to your mother. Please forgive me and stop ignoring me like this. Please, Damon... Look at me at least." The next sound I heard was the cling of his spoon against the ceramic plate. I searched his eyes for love and I saw none. He pushed his chair back and pushed me away.

Startled, I raised back to my feet. Mrs. Smith almost choked on her laughter, I didn't blame her. He was her son after all and I had none.

I packed the dishes back into the kitchen with so much sorrow. It's been a while since I cried so hard. Damon spent the night in the guest room while I spent the night crying in grief. I prayed things would get better the next day. Time will heal us, I know. Damon loves me, I know. He wouldn't betray.