Chapter 19: Facing The Inevitable

Damon helped Barbara as they walked out.
“Wait for me.” She muttered, trying to tie her shoelace.

“Come here, I’d do that for you.” He squat and helped her with it. Barbara held her hair up with a smile. Everything went well with Damon as they walked down the road, hand in hand.

Meanwhile, Elvira and Jeremy were having an evening rest on the hammock in the garden. Jeremy was reading his wife a novel when Elvira caught their view. It was an old book that Adelaide wrote. A romance novel about two people in love that lived together. Although people closely challenged them for being together.

“Awwwwnn... Isn’t that cute? Barbara must have been his first girlfriend.” Elvira chuckled, just from watching the both of them.

“Come on, how can you tell? He’s just helping her out. Ladies...” He rolled his eyes at what she might think of the innocent teenagers.

“Whatever. They look cute together.” Elvira pulled away from him in excitement. “Should I ask him? Damon would tell me if he finally has a girlfriend, right?”

“Elvie, you worry too much! You’re interrupting our reading.” Jeremy pointed out.

“You’re interrupting them.” Elvira argued. “You never met his Dad that’s why. Damon used to be every lady’s man. Not just their crush. He has his taste in women, though. Damon was player not until he met Adelaide.”

“And he broke her heart by impregnating another.”

“It wasn’t his fault, Jeremy. His mother compelled him. Damon was confused then, and it wasn’t his fault. I told you what happened, right?”

“I know what happened, Wifey. They all died.” he sighed, uninterested.

“Ugh! You’re so not romantic!” she cheered and watched them. With this, Jeremy pulled Elvira back, resting her head on his chest.

“You’re so annoying.” She crossed her arms and pouted her mouth like she had suddenly lost interest in reading.

“The truth needs to be told. No matter how blurred it is, it would still be the truth, okay?” His hand slides up her back, warm and soothing.

Elvira blew out her cheek as she glanced sideways..

“Don’t let Damon hear you. He’d be really heartbroken.” She melts into his touch and squeezes her once slim body, which has gone plump over the years, into his. “Telling him his parents died in an accident was a tough choice I had to make. It’s so bad, we had to make him believe in our lies.”

“It’s for his own good. Anyway, where would you like us to go for our 20th wedding anniversary?”

“I think Dubai or Maldives. We could go to both. Omg! Thinking about it, five years is just by the corner.” Elvira gasped.

“Yes... It was just like yesterday. I want to make it grand. We could spend a week... Alone. I don’t want it to be like our honeymoon that got interrupted by Damon and Julia’s drama. I just hope we would have the time when the time comes.”

“Definitely. We will.” Elvira smiled. She wanted more, but just couldn’t seem to get it.

Elvira pulled away, and their eyes met. She couldn’t help but to smack her palm against her forehead, blushing with flushed cheeks. Even though she and Jeremy had been married for 15 years now, there are cute and crazy moments between them. It’s quite fortunate that Elvira met her soul mate. Jeremy has been the perfect gentleman all the way. He noticed her hand curled up and slightly wrapped her hand around her exposed arm since she was wearing a simple flora dress.