Chapter 22: Understanding

"You are bright, Ava Dior. Playing an active role in the company with you working for me would create a picture... A brighter picture. And I won't like people to find out that you, as my sister, are working with some other company. To me, it doesn't seat right in the ears." He sat upright with his chin slightly raised up and fingertips, tapping the marble table.

"But I earned my place there. I still don't get your point, Damon-sorry, Mr. Smith." Ava Dior corrected herself before he had a chance to. "Shouldn't you encourage me to work somewhere else, at least to gain experience with other entrepreneurs, companies and firms? Wouldn't that be helpful?"

"Having you work with Smith Inc. would mean a lot for both our parents, which I think they all wanted even before their death. That way, we could work together as siblings." The seriousness in his eyes tells how much he's willing to have Ava work for him. She stared at him, confused for a second, while she folded her arms around her chest, watching his raised, thick brows.

"In a nutshell, you want me to reject the job offers and work for you?" A gentle sigh escapes her lips.

"Exactly." A smirk spread out on his lips until he suddenly looked at his black Rolex wristwatch and grabbed some files. "Would you think about it?"

"I want to work outside to learn more about customer relations and the basics of business management too." She explained, hoping he would see reasons with her, but Smith Inc. isn't a poor company. She didn't want to turn down his offer as well.

"I don't know. I wasn't expecting this, though."

"Okay, I'd give you a day. Whatever you decide will be fine by me. It's no big deal. I just want to do what our parents would have wanted." He stood up abruptly and grabbed some files.

"I'm having a meeting with some business partners on the third floor so, I guess this will be a goodbye for now."

"Okay." Ava Dior replied, holding her bag. "So, should I text you whenever I decide?"

He looked up at her and paused for a while. Not smirking this time, he was frowning-just slightly.

"I meant it when I asked you to come back to California. So, don't expect too much space. Don't bother texting. And you should come tomorrow, whatever your decision is. Let me know in 24 hours. And I will be tight tomorrow, so I advise you come early."

His last words sounded like a warning. He just left, saying no more words.

'Shouldn't you be begging me?' She hissed in her mind, but an appropriative smile spread out on her lips.

"Goodbye then, see you tomorrow-"

Without responding, he adjusted his black shiny suit and walked out of the office.

Just then, Ava Dior stepped out, closing the door behind her. 'He didn't welcome me or say goodbye.'

Ava Dior frowned at the bud of thoughts blooming in her head. While she walked out, she tried smiling as a thank you, but Kiara rolled her eyes at her with disgust. Still pained about what had happened earlier.

Her heart raced while she climbed into the elevator. Kiara gave a grave stare until the elevator closed.

'What's her deal?' Ava Dior's ocean-blue eyes darted around as she walked out of the tall skyscraper. It was a little quiet, but everyone was busy with their daily activity.

Stepping out of the building, her head raised again and attention was on the letters standing on top of the building, Smith Inc. The company operates in five segments; Americas, Europe, Middle East and Africa, but the headquarters is in Los Angeles, California. She stepped into a yellow taxi and it zoomed off into the busy road.