Chapter 2: The Years Later

Months flourished into years. In the living room, I was about to use my drugs when Elvira Young, my best friend, stepped downstairs. She held a cup of strawberry milkshake in her hand and rushed to pick her vibrating phone on the table.

“Oh, my! It’s my boss calling!” She smiled at me before clicking on the answer button.

With the milkshake in her right hand, Elvira placed the phone to her left ear. “Hello Mr. Damon.”

Watching her from beside, I caught the wrinkles formed around her eyes and the wide smile across her lips. She seems excited to pick his call. As Elvira’s friend and roommate, I know how obsessed my friend is about her boss. I rolled my eyes and concentrated on my drugs. Taking the pills and tablets, I took the cup of water beside me and gulped on the drugs, one after another.

“Fine, how’s the weekend?” She started.

“No, it’s not like that. I’ve been really busy with home chores.” She chuckled and turned to me. I focused my eyes on the laptop in front of me. As it is, I work as an assistant editor at Harlequin books, publishing company.

“Yeah, she’s fine. She’s even here with me.” She chuckled again.

“Boss, you’re so funny.”

“Definitely, I would. Anything for you, Mr. CEO.”

“Okay, see you on Monday. Have a nice day. Bye!” She ended the call and sucked the straw of milkshake before placing her phone beside me on the table.

“Bestie, how are you feeling?” She gazed at me, a little worried. “Have you eaten before using your drugs?”

“Yes. I’ve eaten.”

“Hope you ate enough? You hardly eat these days and you don’t use your medication regularly like the doctor prescribed.”

I continued typing with no reply.

“Perhaps, shouldn’t you give it a rest? It’s weekend, okay? And you’ve been through a lot lately.”

“There’s no weekend for writers. And I need to complete this manuscript before month-end.” I explained.

“That’s terrible. Really. You’ve been on this since morning. I don’t think I can ever be a writer.” She hissed. “Just make sure you rest, huh? Your health is a priority to me.”

A small smile formed on my lips with her last words. Elvira could be cute whenever she wants to.

Holding my smile, a soft chuckle escaped her lips while she took her milkshake. While typing, I felt her big brown eyes staring at me.

“Anything the problem?”

Suddenly, she cleared her throat and clung to the sofa chair. “Do you remember Mr. Damon?”

“Which Mr. Damon?” I raised a slim eyebrow and adjusted my reading glasses.

“Mr. Damon Smith, my boss.”

“Yes, what about him?”

“He’s the one I just spoke with now. He was actually asking after you like; how are you feeling and all?”

“So, what did you tell him?” I asked vacantly.

“I told him you’re doing fine, you know. He was just concerned. Yesterday, he asked for your contact but I told him I’d have to ask you first. I think my boss is interested in you, Ally.”

“What are you insinuating?” My heart sank at her last words. I couldn’t believe my roommate was trying to hook me up with her boss.

“Umm... You should understand. I already told you... My boss is interested in you.”