Chapter 24: Everything Here Feels Wrong

It was Saturday morning, and Ava Dior didn’t have to go to work. Avoiding the look on Kiara’s face on weekends was a colossal relief. She visited her long-time friend Hazel West, who owns a boutique at 155 S Palm Canyon street, not far away from her house. Hazel was her closest friend back in high school. Back when Ava Dior’s parents were alive, Hazel would pay a visit. Especially during weekends. Hazel stayed with her uncle after she lost her patents at an early age. She could not attend a prestigious university like Ava did, but they were still close friends.

Checking through her wardrobe, Ava Dior picked out a blue Jean jumpsuit and a red T-shirt on a white pair of sneakers. She packed up her hair into a loose bun before setting out.

“So do you think I made the right choice to work for Damon?” Ava Dior asked hazel immediately after narrating the story why she came back. She took a seat facing hers.

“Yes, you’ve got a suitable position, but I think something is itching you under this shoe. What’s it? Isn’t the pay worth it?”

“No, Hazel. It’s not that.” Ava replied, trying to avoid her friend’s stare, but she knew Hazel would go on about it till the answer drops out of her mouth.

“You’ve always wanted to work here, in California, where you grew up. This is your chance to make a living and make good money, Ava. And as for Damon, you’ve always wanted to understand him, right? What’s wrong with that?”

“It’s his secretary... She’s just, I don’t know,” Ava Dior stopped amidst the words. “Odd.”

“The odd ones end up being the closest ones.” Hazel insinuated. “Just like you and I, remember highschool days?”

“Come on, that’s different.” Ava rolled her eyes at the thought. “She thinks I want to have her position. As if she owns the company and I want to snatch it from her.”

“Does she threaten you?”

“No, not at all.” Ava Dior’s voice cracked up with a nervous laugh.

Just then, Ava took a closer took at her friend. Hazel’s frosted hair hung to her shoulders and framed her face like a lion’s mane. Under the black jersey, Ava Dior could see the outline of Hazel’s perfect 34-B breasts, of her rose-coloured nipples, standing out under her outfit.

“Can you be modest for once? You should try wearing a bra!”

“Jeez, you just sounded like my uncle.” Hazel threw her hair back, and a finger pushed a strand of hair behind her standing ears. “Excuse you? My jersey isn’t transparent!”

“But it’s revealing.”

“Whatever, I’m good with it! Enough of that discussion!” Hazel hissed, changing the topic while her blue eyes searched Ava Dior’s. “What should I get you? Wine? Shirley Temple Cocktail?”

“Don’t bother about that. I’ll drop by an eatery for lunch before heading home. I’m having a terrible headache and I need to rest. My plan for today is watching TV all day on the couch. Tomorrow, I’ll do the laundry and prepare for tomorrow.” She told her.

“You just started working with Damon and this? Are you sure you’re fine working with him? I mean, shouldn’t he check on you during weekends?”

“How does Damon have to do with my headache?”

“Work?” She shrugged.

“Look, Damon is my boss and I’m not an attention seeker.”

“I don’t get, you guys literally grew up in the same house. Don’t you have a sibling connection between you two?”

Ava Dior held her purse and slipped out of the black leathered chair. “I’ll be on my way now. We’ll chat later if anything comes up.”

“Is that what you’re going to say?” Hazel raised her voice, unfinished.

“Bye, dear.”Ava walked outside and stopped a yellow taxi to Oakland. After lunch, she went back home.

***

The chilly Monday morning grew brighter as the sun stretched out of the clouds. Ava Dior stepped outside his er apartment, waiting for the public bus. The warm, lathered seats greeted her while she sat. Friendly voices hummed all around and, with a jerk, the bus rumbled down the road. It took a while before it stopped across the tall building of Smith Inc. Never in her lifetime has she thought of working here, taking the role her mother played almost throughout her life.

'You’ve always wanted to work here, in California, where you grew up. This is your chance to make a living and make good money, Ava. And as for Damon, you’ve always wanted to understand him, right? What’s wrong with that?' Hazel’s words played on her head. These just seem weird. Working for Damon. Who would have imagined?

Getting into her office Ava Picked up some files and knocked on His door. She waited for a reply, but none came.

‘Tap-Tap-Tap!’ She knocked on it once more before pulling the door knob.

“Mr Smith, here is.....” Ava Dior didn’t get to complete the word because of what she saw before her. The pile of files in her hands dropped to the ground and their kiss broke at once. It was Kiara kissing Damon at his desk. She didn’t bother standing or even turning back. As if it was normal.

‘Are they dating?’ Ava pondered as she squat to pick up the scattered papers. Her face turned red abd her body trembled but she acted smart. 'Why do I have to bump into them?' Ava hissed mentally.

Damon pulled away from Kiara and she wiped off her smuggled red lipstick with the middle of her finger.

“Can’t you knock before entering?!” He spat at her, trying not to get angry. Kiara placed a hand on his shoulder to comfort him, but he held her hand in his.

“Umm, I’m sorry, sir.” Ava Dior apologized as she stood up to take her leave.

“Come back here!” Damon ordered and his fingers gestured she bring the files to his table. Ava Dior bowed. Looking down to avoid his stony gaze.

“Next time, don’t come in here without my permission. This is an office and not a residential area where you can just barge in without a knock or a call!”

“I’m sorry...”

“Just use the door!” He snapped before she could compete the sentence and Kiara snickered. Ava Dior gave a sad look at the both of them before walking out.

She held her chest the second she stepped out of his office. ‘What in goodness’ name was that? What just happened?’ She fell to her seat, trying to connect the dots. ‘Did Damon just raised his voice at me? That would have been anyone. Imagine making out like that on Monday morning. It’s just 9:00 a.m! Don’t they have any shame? And Mrs Kiara was acting like a slut, she just sat there. Isn’t she old enough to birth him? How can Damon get so mad at me? This is an office and not a residential area where you can just barge in without a knock or a call, as if? Or should I just leave already? This office feels sinful and everything here feels so wrong?’