Chapter 3: My Mother-In-Law

Mrs. Julia Smith, my mother-in-law and Damon, her son, were in the living room watching television. It was an old Korean movie they both enjoyed watching.

"How was the journey, Mrs. Julia?" I greeted while entering the living room.
"Don't be offended. Dinner would be ready in five minutes."

"Thanks, my dear. You're indeed a lovely wife." She smiled at me. I nodded my head shyly and grabbed the bottle of fruit wine and wine glasses by the stool beside her and took it to the kitchen.

"Um... Come back here." She called me. I walked to her side with curiosity.

"Damon, are you sure you've done all the tests to affirm that this one isn't sterile?"

I froze at her words.

'Clash!'

The wine cup and bottle in my hands dropped in shock to what she just called me. Both mother and son raised their gaze at me, startled.

I looked at her, and she turned to her son.

"What have I said? Her eyebrows raised in innocence.

"No mum, why would you say that to my wife?" Damon queried.

"What did I say?"

Damon stood up and walked up to me. "Hope you aren't hurt? Are you fine, my love?"

Tears filled the space in my eyes as we shared an eye contact. I was speechless.

"Don't cry, please. Come with me." He pulled me closer to cry on his shoulder once again.

Looking back at Mrs. Julia, she rolled her eyes at the both of us. "You didn't bother to ask if I was injured. Did I say something bad?"

"She's only a filthy, poor orphan. Don't forget that."

"I don't give a fuck, mum!"

"Really?"

Hearing them quarrel like this brought me more tears. I just left.

"Hold on." Damon tried to stop me. I ignored.

"I have said nothing, and she's looking so sullen. Have I asked too much?"

"Mum, what you said now was out of it! Why would you call my wife this one? As if she's an object and not a person. That's not fair!" He corrected, with pains in his eyes. Her words hurt his feelings.

"I'm just concerned for both of you and your future. Is it bad that I'm advising you and your wife? I'm your mother, and I love Adelaide as my daughter."

"No, you don't, mother. Your thought and opinion doesn't matter in my marriage life! If truly you love her, you wouldn't have talked to her like that!"

"You still have no right to call her a filthy and poor orphan! Ally has me now and we're family." He warned.
"I love you, mum, but don't talk to my wife again in this manner! That was too harsh!"

"Damon, I will remind you of my story." She said. He turned away, uninterested.

"Your dad and I met in Jerusalem. May his soul rest in peace. Two months after our marriage, I conceived you. Just so you know, I wasn't sterile. The second pregnanc-"

"My dad died when you wanted the second pregnancy..." He cut into her words.

"You have told me your presumed unknown story about a hundred times!" The veins by his neck stretched out because of the fury burning in him.

"I-"

"For goodness' sake, this is my wife!"

She interrupted him, too.
"The joy of every woman is for her to get married and see her grandchildren while she's still alive. Do you want me to die before you consider having children? I've always expected that, the moment you get married. Your wife will bear all the children I could not bear then." Mrs. Smith cried. "I need like four or six or eight grandchildren before I get old and wrinkled. You've been married for quite some time now and you took in an empty barrel as a wife! Now you're saying I've told my story about a thousand times, who cares?"

"How long have we been married? Our marriage is still fresh." Unable to convince her any further, Damon walked to the room.

"It's five years now, Damon! Get that miserable woman pregnant else. I'd chase her out, myself!" Mrs. Smith hissed. "Imagine? I will victimize her until she does the needful! I never loved her for you because I know she's a witch! She charmed you for love and now, wasting all our time! Eating our food and getting fatter like an elephant! If you don't do my bidding, you're going to leave this house! Witch!"

On a Saturday morning, I met Elvira,  my best friend to give her a chat.

"Give her a grandchild, Ally. Why are you making things difficult for everyone?" Elvira pressed.

"I should give her a grandchild? Why are you talking like this? You know how much I love children. Am I God that gives children?" I asked in frustration and made her see reasons.
"Children come from God and I will have mine in due time. I would have adopted a child, but Damon and his mother denied. What am I going to do? Bribe a doctor to give me someone else's baby? I'm no magician, Elvira, and you know that?"

"Don't misunderstand me. It's true that what your mother-in-law said was too much, but-" Elvira added.
"I know Mrs. Smith hates you for her son. Not all these rich people are honorable. And not all poor people are dishonorable. What I'm trying to say is, I don't want you to have any misunderstanding with Mrs. Smith. She's the only family your husband has and you have to win her heart by all means." She stopped and watched me for a while.

"I'm scared for you, my friend."

"What do you mean?"

"Look, I don't want you to lose your husband. I know how much Damon loves you and he is still willing to. What if she made him meet another lady, a richer one? What if they get married or probably have a child together? You could lose Damon, and for that not to happen, it's better you conceive."

"Damon would never betray me, Elvira." I muttered in full confidence. "He would never leave."

"Look, I know Damon is my boss, and he loves you so much. I'm a big fan of your love story but, Damon is also human. And with someone like that for mother, she could influence him without your knowledge. Don't forget, Damon is also a mummy's boy." Elvira pressed for the truth.

"Let's just forget about this, please. I can't think right now."

"Elvira walked towards me and took a seat. You are my best friend, Adelaide, and I don't want to see you heartbroken again. If there's something you're hiding from everyone, at least you can tell me. You know your relationship has started for a long time now. Is there any secret at all?" She wrapped her arm around my neck with her honey brown eyes on me. As if I killed someone and kept it to myself. Her eyes begged mine for answers. I just pulled away.

"Elvie... I understand you. Let's forget about this." I told her.

"What do you mean by let's forget about this? Aren't you bothered?" She wooshed tired sigh out as if my words puzzled her.
"You and this guy have been married for about five years now, if not more. If it's a medical problem, visit a good doctor. And if it's a spiritual issue, let's pray and-"

"It seems you're adamant about this issue. I'd see you later than, bye!" I stormed at her and grabbed my handbag.

Although, Elvira watched me surprisedly, I didn't care. It seems things were getting out of hand, really. I needed to work on myself.