Chapter 12: The Last Day Alive

5 Days Later...

Panegyrics of the witches

“All hail the gods of earth and spirituality. All hail the goddess of creation and inspiration.” I prostrated to the position of the sun. “I called upon the witches and they appeared with their backs facing in the wall.

“You are the one that helps the weak and the orphaned.” They chorused. “You are our backbone. You are the root that held us until this moment.”

Then the three of them faced me, revealing themselves.

“Adelaide.... We know you’re worried. What exactly do you want us to do for you?” Ember started.

“Because the issue on ground is in three folds that can not be put together. Your problem is ours. We would never leave your back.” Hazel muttered.

“What do you want us to do about it?” Chantelle asked.

“Hmmm... I’m at the crossroads and I don’t know where to turn to. I’m floating in an endless sea, the earth is burning. Initiates!”

“Yes...” they replied to me.

“I don’t want my children to die.” I finalized.

“Ah! It’s impossible! Except you’ll exchange your life for only one.”

“What?” My mouth dropped in shock.

“Yes... That’s the only condition.” They disappeared they left me in the state of amazement.

‘Exchange my life for only one. I love the both of them so much... How would I choose one and leave the other?’ I pondered over the thoughts. It was getting tough for me. ‘This isn’t just affecting me, it’s affecting my babies, too. I agree sparing life for my children, but why must I choose only one? Why?’

After a long though, I paid doctor Tate a visit.

I emerged into his office as he gently turned to me. Shock plastered his face, to see me. Knowing I didn’t pass through his door.

He stood up with his trembling down as urine poured out of him.

“Sit down!” I commanded. “Sit!”

Tate slowly took his seat as beads of sweat formed on his tanned skin. Swallowing his pride, he glued his eyes to the table, unable to gaze at me.

“Just look at yourself! I bet you’re married now.”

“Y...yes... I’m happily married with three kids.” He muttered. His voice was gentle and encouraging.

“And you haven’t changed into a new leaf? I know you still sleep with your patients.” I hissed, still pissed.

“I’m sorry...” His voice cracked up at the words.

“You’re such a big disgrace, doctor Andrews. Now that I’m here, I really want to kill you.”

“N..no, please. Don’t. For my wife’s sake. For my children’s sake.” He begged. It smote fear all over his face.

I rolled my eyes at him. “Now you remember your wife and your children. I’d save you for their sake. But on one condition!” I continued. “Any day you try what you did to me with any patient.... That day would be the end of you. I’d make sure of that.”

“I promise never to drug or rape any woman henceforth.” He promised. Nodding his dead in agreement. “In fact, from this minute... I will follow my professional ethics to the core.”

“You better do that.”

“I would. Please, I beg you in the name of God. I won’t pass my boundary anymore. For goodness’ sake, have mercy...” Tears filled his eyes as he stammered the words. “I will rectify all my past mistakes, I promise.”