Vampire Diaries [Elijah Mikaelson]

You're a pretty popular singer/songwriter and you're finally back home in Mystic Falls. You reunite with family and friends, piss off an ex, and meet some new interesting people. 

. .

. .

Never in a million years did you think that singing covers of songs and posting them on the internet would land you a record deal. The music label who had shown interest in you just thought you had an amazing singing voice, so they hadn't counted on you being able to actually write your own music as well. So when they wanted you in New York just as you were on the verge of turning sixteen, it took a lot of legal documents being signed and assigning you a temporary legal guardian for you to be able to go. And in between writing and recording, you were homeschooled in order to keep up with your education.

You've been away from Mystic Falls for a little over a year now, making a music album and graduating a few months earlier than expected. Elena was still set to graduate and you were fortunate enough to be able to go home for a brief break and to see your sister walk the stage before you were to leave again.

You had wanted to surprise your brother and sister, so you texted your aunt Jenna for everyone's whereabouts. They were at Mystic Grill, of course, but Jenna was swamped with papers that needed grading and couldn't meet you there. So instead, you dropped by your childhood home to briefly visit with her before freshening up and heading for the Mystic Grill after making sure with Matt that your sister was still there.

Mystic Grill parking lot is nearly full, but you find a spot and then jog to the back entrance. You text Matt that you're there and moments later he's opening the back exit.

"Matt Donovan," you muse, grinning. "Well aren't you a sight for sore eyes."

"YN Gilbert." He grins back, opening his arms for a hug. "It's been too long."

As you pull back, you ask, "So what's going on? I noticed all the vehicles out front."

"Oh yeah. It's karaoke night. It's become quite the popular activity among the highschoolers and slightly older folk around here."

You perk up at that knowledge. "Karaoke, you say? What a perfect way to surprise 'lena and Jer. Anyone else here that I know?"

"Care and Bonnie are with Elena, and Jeremy's playing pool with Tyler and a few other friends." Your nose wrinkles and Matt chuckles, too polite to try and smooth things over between you and your ex. "Uh, the girls are there with some new friends of theirs as well. Not really good people, if you ask me, but the girls are friendly with them so we tolerate them."

"Oh yeah? And who are they?"

"Klaus and Elijah Mikaelson," Matt says. "The Mikaelson family rubbed a bunch of us the wrong way almost as soon as they got into town, but apparently the girls have forgiven them for what they've done. Fortunately three of them left to explore the world, but we can't quite get these last two to leave as well."

You chuckle. "Be nice, Matty. If 'lena, Bonnie and Caroline can look past whatever they've done, I'm sure you can as well."

He rubs the back of his neck, sighing. "It's not that easy, YN."

"Yeah, yeah." You push on his shoulder a bit, grinning. "Well enough about these supposed terrible men. I want to surprise everyone. Have any idea?"

"One," he slowly grins. "Are you up to karaoke your own song?"

"Always."

"Come on then. Tyler won't like this, but we only have one of your songs in our books."

You laugh. "Not to brag, but that particular song has become quite the anthem among the female population. I feel bad already."