Stranger Things [Eddie Munson]

Just because you love the game doesn't mean you give a flying fuck for the other so-called athletes who expect you to be one of them. The Hellfire club approves :)

Author's Note: Stranger Things AU because I'm not even sure softball was popular in the 80s. Oh well. Trigger warning for homophobic language (it's just one word). So as usual, just go with the flow.  

. .

. .

When your parents told you that you were moving after finishing up your junior year of high school, you shrugged and asked when you needed to start packing. You didn't argue as they expected you would and were relieved you had taken the news so well.

However, they did cut it a little close to the start of your senior year and ended up relocating to Hawkins, Indiana just a few days after school had already started.

So here you stand in the cafeteria of Hawkins High, staring out at the amassed students who've already formed their little cliques. Sighing softly, you're just about to give up and sit in the hallway or something when you catch sight of a boy out of the corner of your eye. More specially, his t-shirt catches your eye.

"Hey Ghostbuster," you call out. The boy with curls sticking out from under the back of his cap is talking rather animatedly with his friend, and it's his friend who catches sight of you staring at them. He nudges him and the boy in the ghostbuster shirt glances at you with wide-eyes. "Do you mind if I sit with you guys? I'm kind of at a loss here."

"Y-You want to sit with us?"

"Yes..?"

"Bullshit."

"Dustin!"

The pale boy with shaggy black hair elbows his friend and you can't help but grin. He rolls his eyes and then looks at you. "What my friend meant to say was yes. Yes, you can sit with us."

"Cool. Thanks."

"I'm Mike and my idiot friend is Dustin."

"YN," you introduce yourself as you follow them.

"You new here?" Mike asks as he leads the way to a table where one other boy and a girl sits. "This is Lucas and Max, by the way."

Lucas barely gives you a nod, too busy trying to gain the attention of Max who's more interested in her Walkman than her friend.

As you take a seat at their table, you answer his question. "I, uh, I just moved in from Texas."

"Oh. Cool." Mike nods and then stares down at his tray.

The conversation seems to end there, but then Dustin turns towards you. "So you like Ghostbusters?"

"Yep. And Poltergeist, A Nightmare on Elm Street, and the Goonies."

"Nice."

By the end of your first lunch period, you realize you've befriended a group of freshmen and that you all have pretty similar tastes in movies. The boys, however, are obsessed with Dungeons and Dragons. And while you have heard of the game, you've never cared to attempt to play it. You don't make the boys feel weird for liking what they like, and even listen as they excitedly explain some things to you. So in the end they're happy to have you sit with them at lunch again.

Within your first couple of weeks, Max distances herself from the boys and you find out that she lost a family member recently which she hasn't been coping well with. Eddie Munson introduces the boys to Hellfire- a club in which they play nothing but Dungeons and Dragons. Eddie and his group of three boys don't know what to think of you since you don't truly understand the game, but Mike, Dustin and Lucas vouch for you.